Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Type of Tree Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Type of Tree Stand

Postby Hot Cow » 12 21, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I know there is a plethora of stands to choose from but what does everyone like. The area I hunt is 2 miles from a 4 wheel drive trail and 4 miles in from a main road ( 2 different ways to get to the same area). So there are multiple areas I would consider but do I take a single stand in or multiple stands in. This is CO over the counter national forest and I live in NE. I have given some thought to the tree saddles to reduce weight but not sure if the saddles are a good option or not? Any thoughts?
Hot Cow

First Name: Tim

Re: Type of Tree Stand

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 21, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Tried a sling one time and only one time. Was great for the first half hour or so. I'll stick with my Lone Wolf climber. I can pack it in, have it set up and hunting without making a sound. It's light and solid and I don't have to carry some other way to get up the tree.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2015 •  [Post 3]

My favorite is the Millennium M100 hang on stand. It is comfortable, safe and easy to set up. You can prep several trees with different steps and receivers, and take only one stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 06, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I have used a lot of stands over the years in the East for deer. I have a Summit climber right now that is far better than any of the stands that I used in the past. Admittedly, I have not tried a lot of newer model climbing stands but compared to my old Loggy Bayous climbers, hang-ons and ladder stands, the Summit is incredibly comfortable. It's bulky to carry but makes up for that in comfort. I have sat in it from dawn to dusk without a problem. I could never deal with the discomfort for an all day sit in anything else that I ever tried. It is also easy to set up.

If comfort is secondary - and it might be out west where you may need to move more - there are more compact options that carry easier.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Stick » 02 28, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Agree with Swede. Most comfortable stand you can buy! IMO Add a set of Muddy tree steps and you have a combo that is unbeatable.
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby stringunner » 03 02, 2016 •  [Post 6]

My dad and I have cheap hang on stands. I have purchased an after market seat I carry with me which makes it more comfortable for 14 hours on stand. This past year swede let me set up and sit in one of his mil. 100 stands. I will be honest and say they were so comfortable I fell asleep several days while sitting on stand. I hope to purchase one or two this spring after sitting in them.
stringunner

Postby Brendan » 03 03, 2016 •  [Post 7]

If I'm going any distance it's either my lone wolf hang on with climbing sticks, or my lone wolf hand climber. Especially for archery where I don't like the front rail, and because they pack really well. I had a summit, but I liked the open design and my mobility in the stand of the lone wolf better. I did like the Summit for my rifle hunt(s) as it's more comfortable and has a rail but I do less of that.

I have a bunch of semi-permanent hang-on stands that I got for $50 each that I put up in the summer and leave out for the entire season - if that's what you're doing then there's not a lot of benefit (for the cost) looking at the lone wolf stands.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Here is my tip of the day. Never read even a slightly boring book while waiting in a Millennium M100. You will fall asleep and will no longer be hunting. :D
Swede

Postby Luckyman » 03 03, 2016 •  [Post 9]

X2 for a summit climber, and there are lightweight open models without the bar. Ultra comfy and so quick to change spots. My favorite napping place, nothing better than waking up to footsteps through the leaves, opening your eyes and there they are!
Luckyman

Postby Erniepower » 03 16, 2016 •  [Post 10]

I'm a saddle hunter all the way. For comfort it's hard to beat a guidios web. A few muddy sticks with etriers Will easily get you over 20 feet.

I am in the process of designing my own saddle that will be easier to pack in than the web but that is far from done.
Erniepower

Postby Swede » 03 16, 2016 •  [Post 11]

I can sit for hours in my stand, but I need to stand up and stretch my legs once in a while. I want to shift my position and move around some too. How does that work for those of you that use a saddle?
Swede

Postby Erniepower » 03 17, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I strap a string of steps to the tree. The ameristep strap on steps are really popular for this but hard to come by. I made a small platform out of a cut down helium stick myself. Basically I just need somewhere to rest my legs as I sit and allow me to stand up to stretch. [img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/6d70b6e85c64901d45bc6a197f37fcde.jpg[/img]
Erniepower

Postby Erniepower » 03 17, 2016 •  [Post 13]

For those who want to learn more, saddlehunter.com is a great resource. People post over there all the time with tips and tricks. They are mainly deer hunters but a lot of the same principles apply when seeing and hunting from stands.
Erniepower

Postby ABQ_Chica » 05 09, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Ditto on the M100. The best! I use Ameristep Rapid Rails, which are a pain to pack in and out, but very helpful for a newbie who is not comfortable with more minimal stick steps.
ABQ_Chica

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 15]

I'm a treesaddle guy too, been using one for last 8 years, hope to never go back to a locon. Carry it in my pack, light and very safe. I have trees set up all over the unit I hunt. Can climb most of pines where I hunt with no steps needed. My buddies and I all use them. They take a little practice to get used,too.
Scoutman

Postby lamrith » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 16]

New to tree stands this year. I have a Summit climber, the one Con I see to a climber is having to clear all the branches to the level you plan to hunt from. Scouting last weekend I saw a number of big well located trees for a stand, but the prep to be able to climb them would have been extreme and also remove quite a bit of cover so you stand out in the stand.

Makes me want to think about a M100 bigtime...
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 17]

Swede,
You can stretch in a treesaddle just as well as a hang on. You can sit, stand, shoot 360, around tree, just have to practice with it. Everyone has their own method in one, what works for me, may not work for someone else.
Scoutman