Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scent Control For Tree Stand Hunters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scent Control For Tree Stand Hunters

Postby Swede » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 1]

What do you think; is scent control a different matter and more important for tree stand hunter, or are we unduly influenced by Whitetail deer hunters who are over the top? How much do you think the terrain on which you set your stand makes a difference?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Scent Control For Tree Stand Hunters

Postby rowdycwby1 » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I think if you can try to stay sent free it can't hurt... I like to use nose jammer with my scent blockers I've seem to have had more animals down wind and not spook or seem disturbed.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby Elkonthebrain » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Has anyone tried ozonics? What did you think worth it or is it a waste of money?
Elkonthebrain

Postby ishy » 03 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I'd love to know for sure on this one. My usual stand is a brutal 3 miles from the trail head, so I always think about packing extra scent lok clothes and spray etc...is it worth the extra sweat?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I know nothing about Ozonics, but here is what I have done when perspiration is a problem. Nothing is near perfect, but I either carry a washcloth and some soap if there is a nearby place to wash or I have a wet towel in a zip-loc bag. I wear the minimal clothes when hiking in and have the rest in a plastic garbage sack. Sometimes I soak my head and wash my hair in a nearby stream before I climb into my stand.
Swede

Postby Muskeez » 04 07, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Some whitetail guys here swear by the Ozonics machines. I have not spent the money yet, and likely won't. I can play the wind and just sit in different stands. By doing so I don't burn out one stand every day anyway and I get to see different parts of the land I hunt. In the mountains that would be different. I would assume you will have certain stands for when thermals are pushing up and certain stands for when the thermals are going down the mountain. If there is any chance that I am going to booger up an area by sitting there in the wrong wind I stay home or go somewhere else. Not worth educating what you are hunting, they are smart enough as it is. All the scent reducing products will help to a degree, but none will matter if the outer surface is sweaty, or has scents baked into them. Never wear your hunting clothing anywhere but in the field. I change into them after I get out of the truck and when I return to the truck they go into a scent proof bag again with a branch from a cedar tree. The worst thing you can do is wear your boots/clothes to the gas station or McDonalds on the way to the field. One item that I think makes a difference more than anything is a Scentlock facemask that covers my entire head. I sweat a lot from my balding head on the way to the tree so I think this helps as much as anything after wiping my head down with wipes at the tree. Just some thoughts from a WT guy.
Muskeez

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Fletcher

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Clayton, no offence buddy, but much of what you wrote does not apply to elk hunting. You are a true whitetail hunter. :D Elk cover many thousands of acres, so educating them is pretty hard. With enough pressure in an area they can be pushed away, but educating them, going to, or waiting in a stand is very hard. If you bust out the elk, they are often gone for days or weeks. Other elk will likely replace the ones you busted, but it may, or may not take some time. That depends on the elk in the area.
Because of the huge area elk cover, burning out an area is virtually impossible. I never have done it.
Since most elk come to where I have my stands, near water or along a meadow, I do not have stands for different wind conditions. The trees are 60-90 feet tall in many areas, so I set my stand up high enough (25 feet-30 feet) so that my scent does not reach the ground anywhere near the tree I am in. I am an admitted high stand advocate.
I completely understand your mind set on this. I started out reading about and applying whitetail strategies, myself. I slowly modified them. If you go relatively high in most tree stands, all of your measures will be fine. You are doing nothing wrong. The only thing I wanted to share with you is that they are not really necessary.
Swede

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 8]

We carry wipes that are scent free kinda like Swede does. Sagebrush is very prevalent where we hunt, so we break off stems of it and rub it on clothes,packs,skin,etc. We carry extra in our pockets to freshen up with during the hunt. We carry small bottles of scent killer but it adds weight. We hunt on BLM land with cattle around, so we step in cow patties walking in to cover our ground scent. Works well on elk and deer but bears will still pick you up. It is very hard to be scent free elk hunting.
Scoutman