Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stand Area Preparation

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stand Area Preparation

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Over the years I have done a lot of different things to make the area around my tree stand more inviting and also more deadly for elk. There is no one size fits all. That got me to wondering what some others here have done to bring them in, or to prepare for a shot? Also what have you tried that did or didn't work for you?
One of the better things I did was to open a trail closer in front of my stand and plugged one that kept elk farther away.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Stand Area Preparation

Postby stringunner » 05 03, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I have cleared the trees that I sit in and have been known to clear surroundings trees for shooting lanes. I also have been known to place a rock, or two, or three on the downhill side of spring to allow water to pool up a bit.

I have never thought about making trails for better shot angles but this is definitely something I'm going to look at this year as last year I had a stand that had a main trail coming in right under the stand. It would have been better to try and direct the elk a bit further out.

There was a spring I found a few years ago, a legitimate spring that had all but disappeared due to an over abundance of cattle use, that I dug out a bit to restore it, and low and behold water is running again at great levels. Actually placed a stand there two years ago and shot a spike in the first 10 minutes of opening morning.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Over the years I have tried bait/salt in different areas. They don't work well. It seems if the elk is coming to the site they will lick it, but don't come because of the salt or other bait. Decoys are a disadvantage. They run off elk more often than they attract. Real elk act surprised to see an elk when they are moving in, and turn around immediately. Some will ignore the decoy and some are curious and will investigate, but on average decoys are a liability. I too have improved the water hole or wallow. That seems to help a lot in the right place.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2016 •  [Post 4]

One of my best friends built the ultimate tree stand , well, a tree fort for the grand kids 30 feet up. He weeds the area for white-tail archery, he has pruned all the trees for better slug shooting too. His whole property is a wildlife feed and habitat station.

I spend a lot of time creating shooting lanes for bear bait stations.

Back to elk I have two areas where I could place stands . the one locations doesnt need any work. The other the rancher said stock water could be run into one tank , instead of all the tanks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I do like most of you, clear shooting lanes,etc. Like Swede said, I block trails with debris and open up a route that diverts them to me if possible.
Scoutman