Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Many Stand Locations?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Many Stand Locations?

Postby Swede » 05 18, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Every year I read on this or some other forum where different hunters have found a great tree stand location. As often as not they wonder if a ground bling would be adequate, but are considering purchasing a tree stand. Many hunters have a stand and hunt from one as they feel led. I take four or maybe five tree stands on each hunt. I like to move around and will hunt different locations. Sometimes a friend or two will use them.
How many tree stands do other elk hunters use, and what kind(s) (climber, hang-on, or the dope on a rope variety :lol: )?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Many Stand Locations?

Postby ishy » 05 20, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Only have two hangers, and one climber. If need arises buddy has the rafters in his garage full of em. I'm far from a full time tree guy. It's just a way to give me another tool that could produce.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I figured the pack in guys, and the part time tree stand hunters would only have one or two stands, but the more devoted tree standers would have more. For elk you can hunt full time from one stand, but I like to see some different areas and check different places.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 05 23, 2016 •  [Post 4]

My dad and I pretty much sit tree stands exclusively. We each have 4-5 spots each depending on the year, so about 10-12 total for both of us. Seems like of the 10-12 about 4-5 are good. These spots are spread over a 4-5 mile area maybe, over several ridges, drainages and two major canyon systems. A couple of them are within 1/4 mile of each other or closer. Last year they were all bad and I sat Swedes! :D
stringunner

Postby blackwolf » 06 12, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I am planning on 2 stand locations for my 10 day hunt. Both are near thick bedding on side of high ridge between bedding to feeding and are about 300 yards apart. May take quick 5 day scouting trip next week to check exact stand ( using 2 small double-bull ground blinds) location related to thermal and winds and check out 2ndary location a couple miles away at a waterhole.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 6]

My hunting buddy and I have over 15+ spots, set up and ready at any given time if sign confirms hunting them. I set up 4 new spots in May. We check spots as we hunt, slipping in and taking a quick look. We have spots in different drainages,valleys all within a 20 mile radius of camp. If one area is full of people, we move on to another. We hunt out of treesaddles so no stands to haul around. It's always a new adventure.
Scoutman