Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling From A Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling From A Stand

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I don't call very often from my tree stand, but there are exceptions. Do you call? If so how (cow call or bugle), when, and why? What would be the circumstances that would get you to start calling?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Calling From A Stand

Postby stringunner » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I have called on occasion but mostly try and resist the urge. I sit on water holes so the water does the calling for me. Calling might impede an elk from coming, maybe he/she does t want company, maybe it makes them nervous if they are close and can't see or hear anything other than the calling, maybe I hunt a call shy area and calling makes the elk nervous for that reason. Either way, the water is already bringing them so why call? That's my theory and much of that I have learned from reading swedes book and hunting/learning from him.

I have called before and some times it works and other times not. Two years ago, opening morning I was in the stand before light. I could hear a herd milling around on the hill above me, right at legal shooting light the herd spooked and ran within sight of my stand. I immediately started cow calling trying to imitate a lost cow or calf. About 30 seconds later a spike walked in (as he was dogging the herd) looking for the "elk" calling. I shot him.

Last year, I was really bored after sitting in stand for over 12 hours. Nothing was coming to the water and I knew there were elk in the area based on fresh sign and my game camera. With 1.5 hours left to sit (before to dark to shoot) I started some soft cow calls about every 5-6 minutes. Trying to imitate a couple cows feeding/hanging in the area. I did this off and on for about 45 minutes. I then sat for another 20 minutes silent. I then climbed down as I had a pretty good hike up hill to get back to my truck with tons of blow down and I had forgotten my headlamp, so wanted to get through the thick stuff before dead dark thirty. Low and behold when I checked the camera the next day, I left at 8:02 and a five point bull was standing directly under my stand (looking down hill for those cows he heard) at 8:07!!!!!!!! :oops:

Those are the only two instances of several where calling has worked at a water hole. I think calling from a stand set up in a bedding area, or near a bedding area, a transition zone (bedding to feeding) on a saddle or trail system might work. It would be very similar to a cold calling set up while running and gunning. The only disadvantage is that you are completely stationary and if your scent is going down you cannot adjust location to help control that.

My 2 cents!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Stringunner: How certain are you that the 5X5 came due to your calling? Certainly it could have, and I believe I have had them come to calling a few times too. I have also tried to coax elk in that I knew were in the vicinity, but they left and went the other way. I think bulls, especially satellites are more prone to going the other way. Herd bulls won't bring in a harem to other elk. I assume they suspect a bull in with them. On a couple of occasions I have had bulls skirt my area after I called. It seems to be a mixed bag from what I have seen.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Definitely can't be 100% that the 5x5 came to the calling. I guess I just thought it to coincidental that I have been there calling and then he showed up just 5-7 minutes after I left. He never did go to the water (camera never got him there) so i can't say for sure, more assumed I guess. I've only had those two instances where elk actually came so I still don't think it to be effective at a water hole.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Well it is likely that he came to the call. I know it happens. I
stringunner wrote: I then sat for another 20 minutes silent. I then climbed down as I had a pretty good hike up hill to get back to my truck
Since it was 25+ minutes after you quit calling it seems to be a toss up, but that scenario has happened to me too. Sometimes the difference in time is even longer. I remember a bull coming in, looking around, and not coming to the water. That was about 40 minutes after I quit calling. He stayed just out of shooting range. Soon he turned and left. I think he was looking for the small bull he believed he heard. Who knows?
Swede

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I call from the stand when the sun goes down enough to shade the bedding areas, etc. If the elk start bugling etc, I will call to let them know where I am. I usually throw out a few cow calls every 20 minutes or so. I also carry rocks with me to throw in the water periodically to add splashes to my calling. I take a big stick with me and rub it on limbs around me and whack them if a bull is nearby. I called a bull in last year to 7 yards using these tactics. But it's a personal preference for me to call, it has worked for me.
Scoutman

Postby Swede » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Ken, I appreciate your post here. Certainly different people have had different experiences. If I planned to call, I would bugle or cow call while the sun was still up some. It would be 4:00-5:00PM. I would plant the idea some elk came to the water hole or wallow. Then I would stay quiet and wait. I just want to make them curious.
The elk where I hunt are often nervous when they come to water. Predators of all kinds are around and elk are cautious about interacting with other elk. Last evening at the seminar, I thought Joel Turner make an excellent point on why bulls mostly give out location bugles at night. I have heard them quite a bit in the late evening too. They are keeping track of the competition and avoiding them. I would be concerned that avoidance would be the motivation to cause elk to go somewhere else as discussed in an earlier post.
I have called them in doing some of what you describe, but it usually takes awhile for them to show up. That for me is another reason to start early. I have also run off elk by calling from a stand. Never answer an elk that calls from a distance. I am confident they are giving location bugles to see if there is competition in the area.
Swede

Postby Scoutman » 07 22, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Swede,
I think you thought I meant when the sun went down, I call in the late afternoon when the sun creates shade for the animals to move in. Would love to go to a seminar and hear all this from you guys but just not an option. I don't usually bugle from a tree. Just cow call.
Scoutman

Postby Elkrunner » 12 14, 2016 •  [Post 9]

I have tried this on several occasions. I have been able to get elk to come in and stop at 80 yards. At that point they look around and do not see an elk and wouldn't come closer. I have toyed with the idea of putting a decoy behind me about 30-40 yards.
Elkrunner

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 10]

I have had elk come to my call, but I have turned many away. My sense is that under normal conditions we are better to sit quietly and wait.
Stringunner turned a bull toward his water hole and shot it a few years ago. The bull would have passed on by if he not diverted it his way. There are situations where a cow call will enhance your odds of getting the elk. Just calling when you are at a water hole, and/or on along a good trail is more likely to divert them away.
The big taboo is replying to a bugle. I have heard bull call when they are several hundred yards away. Whenever I replied them did not come in. Two years ago I had that situation and scored because I stayed quiet. I believe the bull is calling to see if the wallow/water hole is occupied. He won't come if alone or bring in his cows if he hears another elk. I believe they associate another bull with trouble.
Swede