Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitting & Waiting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitting & Waiting

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 1]

How long can you sit and wait in a tree stand before you need to leave and go somewhere? What factors influence your time limit?
Some days I can wait all day in a stand, but I usually get out for lunch then return. Elk can come in at any time, but I like to stretch my legs and move around when there is less chance of something coming in. I can wait in the stand and have lunch there if it looks productive. I like to average 10 hours per day in my stand, but can go for 12 or 13 when daylight allows. The biggest factor is confidence in the stand location. If I believe I am wasting time, the hours drag on and I just suffer through them and wonder if I should be somewhere else. I have learned to stay put, but I find myself spending time thinking about other places I wish I was at.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Sitting & Waiting

Postby stringunner » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I go sun up to sun down most days. I don't have a problem passing the time. The rest of the year is 100mph so i actually like the peace and quiet. I spend much time reading and praying.

Having multiple spots that are decent gets into my head though. Last year I jumped around too much just not being content completely with any spot and it cost me a few opportunities (according to my game cameras).

We have 9 cameras up right now. That's far to many to give my mind rest!!!! :o
stringunner

Postby Swede » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Generally I think a person is better off not changing locations during the day. I have done so when people like Stringunner kills a big bull nearby and I think he and his dad will be disturbing the area for the remainder of the afternoon, but usually it is best to just wait where you are. If I hadn't been such a jerk that day, I would have helped them pack out.
One thing I can say from experience is that I don't get elk while in my trailer camp. The more time I spend in my stand the more likely I am to fill my tag.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I've done dawn to dusk with only a couple hours out of my stand mid day, but man I need some more padding. Most guys loose weight for elk season if I want to sit that long again I think I need to add some.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L