Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scent & Bait

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scent & Bait

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I have my tree stands on hill sides and in draws where scent and bait should work if it is really an attractant. Elk could smell it a long ways away. In the Spring and early Summer; bait, usually salt and syrups works great. By the time the season arrives, there seems to be no additional use of a water hole or trail because of the attractant. What are some other hunters experiences with salt or syrup?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Scent & Bait

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 10, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Initial response is that I think the key here is the "waterhole" is the attractor and the bait/salt/scent is just an additional layer of attractant that goes by the wayside. Now, on a trail, dry saddle, etc., where a few mineral blocks have been set off to the side, have been a constant source of elk attention from my experience well before and into season (obviously, when used in a legal state to do so).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Mike_Parson » 08 11, 2016 •  [Post 3]

i have never used either in my entire life. wouldnt know how to use them now.
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Does anyone ever hang out a scent rag? Any luck with it?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 08 11, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Never used a scent rag. Can't say anything to that.

I've done salt before and though the initial attractant mid summer for elk was good, it also brought moo cows and the elk never came back. I have a spot now, second year with stand there that shows no sign of moo cows ever, at least in the past several years, that if it shows elk again this year, I might try salt in addition to the water hole. Where we hunt, as swede knows well, moo cows tend to be a major problem so anything that attracts them other than water, I want to stay away from.
stringunner