Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Two Jugs

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Two Jugs

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I was looking at another hunter's tree stand this September. In the tree next to his stand hung two jugs. One was his urinal and the other a spittoon. Both were half to two thirds full. It got me to wondering what scents do hunters think will scare off deer and elk? I am comfortable after years of urinating from my stand onto the ground that urine is no (zero) problem.
As I have mentioned before, a hunter took over my stand location years ago. To fix him, I took two or three (I don't remember now) gallons of urine and poured it out at the water hole and on the trails leading into the water. I poured a bunch near the tree he set up. The next day he shot a bear there, and a few days later he killed an elk at that location. So much for the urine plan. I have had two bears come under my tree where I have recently relieved my bladder, and deer eat on the bushes I have just peed on. I am satisfied urine is no detractor to deer, bear and elk.
What I am wanting to know is if there is any legal substance that will cause elk to leave an area? I am satisfied that causing elk to go somewhere else could be used to good advantage if placed in the right spot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Two Jugs

Postby Njdiverdan » 10 04, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Swede,

I would think cheap perfume would do the trick. If you want slower release of the scent over a long time, use stick deodorant. Scented dryer sheets would probably work as well. All urine pretty much breaks down to the same stuff in a few hours exposed to the air.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I don't know if it works but stop at a barber shop and take some hair out to the woods.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking about making a few scare crows and setting them near the water holes I want left alone by the elk. I know a couple of places that it just might work. I can try some of the ideas you have and use them with my scare crow friends.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Human hair works to keep deer off the rose bushes in town. There is also a spray solution called Deer B Gone or something like that, that smells horrible. I mean horrible, like will make you instantly puke. It is made for gardens and bushes and such to keep all critters away and specifically deer. The solution doesn't hurt the garden products interestingly enough and it works great to keep the deer away. Spray it on about every 7 days or so.
stringunner