Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rock climbing harness for treestand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rock climbing harness for treestand

Postby stringunner » 10 12, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Anyone on here wear a rock climbing harness instead of a "regular bow hunting" harness while in stand?

Been doing some research about this and see where many treestand hunters are doing this. I actually really like the idea for several reasons. A quick Google search of rock climbing harness for bow hunting reveals many many threads and conversations on the subject.

Just curious if anyone on here has specific experience?
stringunner

Re: Rock climbing harness for treestand

Postby Marshmstr » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Only problem I could see is it's not a class III harness, so technically without shoulder straps you could come out if "you fall wrong".....I'm interested to see what folks say, I would definitely prefer to use mine, I never really thought to. I guess all that hunting harness marketing worked ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marshmstr

Postby stringunner » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I too had the same concerns. After reading many threads about it, this topic is discussed a lot. From what I have been reading, guys changing to RC harness say they will never go back. Comfort, weight, nothing up around your shoulders and neck. If you fall you will be facing the tree, ease of movement in the stand and no tether restricting right or left shots are all reasons listed for switching.

The biggest two questions seem to be: how to hook to the tree while in stand and how to rig it up with a lineman belt while setting up stands. Both of which have been figured out according to what I've read. If I were to switch, I would probably still use my hss harness to set up the stands as I do most of this prior to the start of the season.

They also mention the RC harness as being safer on the legs (blood flow) if left hanging for a while in harness as compared to the other harnesses we wear.

One would really want to research this for themselves, don't take my opinion, I'm just passing on what I've researched, just a disclaimer.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Stringunner, lets look together at your harness set-up when we go scouting. Your problem/concern is a very common one. Some people can only shoot to the right or left. I can shoot either way. I never have a problem with my harness system and can get max turning radius with it without interference. The key for me is to tether it high enough above my head so that I can just sit down without the tether feeling too snug for comfort.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics