Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand location on a steep trail

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand location on a steep trail

Postby CurlyTail » 10 17, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I have located a heavily used trail that descends from a saddle down into a timbered valley that almost always has a few elk in it. The saddle is heavily burned, and no trees available for a stand location. As you descend into the valley, it goes into a mature Ponderosa Pine forest. It is a very steep slope, and the trail traverses the slope. According to my trail cams, Elk move on this trail about every other day. Also see black bears regularly.

Would you put the tree stand above the trail, making for a severe downhill shot , and unfavorable thermals early morning and evening, or below the trail, bringing them to eye level and better thermals for low light conditions. Would a tree stand even be an advantage over a ground blind in this steep terrain?
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Re: Treestand location on a steep trail

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Descending thermals can be a real problem, but so can being at eye level. Can you get to the side of the trail far enough that the elk are not looking your way when they come down the trail? Can you get up 25-30 feet into some green branches? That will help with both the visual and scent problems. I generally think a tree stand is better than a ground blind. If you are on the ground, the scent problem is usually worse than if you are high in a tree.
Oly, Stringunner and I have both had to deal with this problem and sometimes you wait through the problem times and hope the elk are not there when you will be busted. The sun shining on you can be a problem too in situations like you describe. Consider making some artificial foliage if you can't find good natural cover up a tree. A shredded bath towel sized rag, or even some cut branches from some brush can be helpful. Don't worry; an elk doesn't know willow branches do not grow in a pine tree. They will even accept a rag up a tree.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I think I can get 20 yards or so off the trail and up quite a ways. The thermals are very strong on this steep, East facing slope. Strong down early and late, and strong up midday. Most of the action on my cameras is 630pm , close to the time the thermals change - of course.

I feel that sitting a stand could be very productive in this area, but the logistics of getting a stand 2.5 steep miles into the mountain have kept me from trying it so far.
CurlyTail

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Curly, 2.5 miles is exactly how far my son and I set up our stands last year. It is not easy, and the thought of the pack out is not great either. Still elk steaks are worth some pain. Good luck with your tree stand set-up. :D
Swede

Postby six » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Does the trail "switchback" in the steeper stuff? If so could you get 20+ YARDS off to the side in one of the curves. No trail below and no trail above.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Curly, I know the elk are already coming, but if you can legally bait I would. I would mix a quart of molasses with a round box of salt (26 oz) in a gallon milk container. Shake them together well and punch some 16 penny nail holes in the bottom, so it will slowly drip. Hang it from a bush or green tree limb just off the trail where you want him to stop for your shot. I just wish I could be there to watch with you.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Curly, I know the elk are already coming, but if you can legally bait I would. I would mix a quart of molasses with a round box of salt (26 oz) in a gallon milk container. Shake them together well and punch some 16 penny nail holes in the bottom, so it will slowly drip. Hang it from a bush or green tree limb just off the trail where you want him to stop for your shot. I just wish I could be there to watch with you.

Wow Curly! You must rate well in Swedes mind. I have been sharing a camp with him for the past two years and he has never shared that secret weapon/recipe with me! :shock:

A quick review of Swedes posts all over this forum is starting to make me think we should change his screen name to
"Bag of Tricks" :lol:
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Stringunner, I thought you knew about the one Oly and I placed in the draw below Spike. It certainly got hit, but I was never there at the time. I confess I still need to take the milk jug in to the garbage. It is still hanging there today. :oops:
Swede

Postby CurlyTail » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Great tip except it will get me a ticket in the state of Colorado. I think baiting, even for trail cam pictures, much less hunting, is illegal in Colorado. I know for sure you cannot put out mineral attactants in Colorado.

No switchbacks on this trail, just a gradual rather steep traverse. Any chance the scent from an uphill placed stand would float over their heads with an downward thermal, or do you think I would get winded? If I was 20yards up, and 20 yards off the trail, I would be almost 25 yards above the Elk.
CurlyTail

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 10]

I have observed that descending thermals vary a lot. Some are gradual and some are nearly straight down. And there is everything in between. I am far from an expert on this, but I would hunt from above in the afternoon and evening. Usually the down drafts are less precipitous then than those cold thermals that come in the early morning. I like the sound of your area considering you said there is an old burn nearby. Recently recovered burns have a lot of good forage available and elk love them. I suspect the elk are using the trail to access their groceries.
Swede