Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Favorite Tree Stand Tip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Favorite Tree Stand Tip

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Tree stand hunters likely all have found things that help them get critters. I found out, calling is a dicey thing to introduce to your tree stand. No absolute here, but one that bears strong consideration before trying.
Probably my favorite discovery was that it is ok to pee out of my tree stand. Just look around before you do, and don't pee into the wind. :lol: What are some other things you have discovered or found to work?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Favorite Tree Stand Tip

Postby six » 10 20, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Always always always. Strap up. Couple years ago a hunter fell out of his tree stand while I was working. Very bad sometimes no cell signal. He finally was able to get through to his wife who called 911. We found him 3 hours after his wife called. I don't remember how long he had been lying there before that. He was cold and very much in shock. He was well over a mile off the road so we called in the Coast Guard. We carried him to the nearest clearing and the Coast Guard hauled him up to the chopper in a basket. Much longer and the guy would have been unconscious and we may not have found him in time.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Re: Favorite Tree Stand Tip

Postby stringunner » 10 20, 2016 •  [Post 3]

These are two I have used in the past and still do: (neither are that creative and probably not original)

1) I use screw in tree steps to get in and out of my stands. They can get heavy to pack in and out especially if you have 16-20 steps. I also like to take out the bottom few leaving about a 10ft space between the ground and first step left in the tree. Deters people from stealing my ropes or stands. So instead of hauling them in and out each time, I hide them around the base of the tree under a rock or log, etc.

2) when setting stands up, pre-season, I pack a metal pulley to aid in lifting the stand up into the tree. When my dad is with me he stays on the ground and pulls it up to me in the tree, and when I'm alone, I climb up about 5 ft higher and hang the pully there
then descend back to the level where I want the stand and use the pulley to bring up the stand. Much easier than trying to pull up the dead weight of the stand.
stringunner