Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Does It Matter?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Does It Matter?

Postby Swede » 11 10, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I hear a lot about hunters loving to chase elk or deer on the ground. They see tree stand hunting differently than I do. So the question for you is why do you choose to hunt from a tree stand, and is it more fun to shoot from the ground?
It makes no, none, zero, nada difference to me, where I shoot from, but long waits, meaning over a couple of weeks, while seeing nothing of interest can get a little boring.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Does It Matter?

Postby stringunner » 11 11, 2016 •  [Post 2]

It's definitely more fun for me to run and gun and call them in. I switched to tree standing it for elk in my area because my chances of shooting one went up by doing do. I now find it to be just as fulfilling and leave camp filling just as satisfied. My luck some years might be just as void but I leave knowing that in my area my chances were just as good or better tree stand hunting than calling.
stringunner

Re: Does It Matter?

Postby ishy » 11 13, 2016 •  [Post 3]

For me it is all about increasing odds in a heavily hunted area. I can still run and gun and sit my stand while most guys are in camp mid day. I have to say that calling in a bull would be my first choice, but I will do about anything if it will increase my odds. Couple of other considerations that will get me in the stand is I think my odds at a herd bull increase, and I would love to get it on film. I have attempted packing a tripod while running and gunning and it is really tough especially in the limited visibility of North Idaho solo. Sitting gives me a great chance to be able to film the shot solo (POV stuff is great if you get something under 10 yards but doesn't really show anything beyond point blank encounters).
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L