Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Just Wonderin

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Just Wonderin

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2016 •  [Post 1]

When we are out scouting an area or moving around during our hunt we see special places and honey holes. Do we recognize them and take note?
I still remember the time I found this awesome water hole that had one excellent dusty elk trail leading in to the water. There were fresh rubs along the trail and the water was riled from repeated use. I knew a bull frequented it often. The next time I was out there, I placed a stand in a nearby tree and killed a nice bull the next day from my elevated perch.
What I am wondering is how many of you go out, not necessarily looking for a sweet spot like that, but when you find one you have a stand available and take advantage of it? How many of you review maps, Google Earth, etc., to find spots to be verified later, that have a high probability of having trails or water holes, where elk will be concentrated?
What I have found is that good tree stand locations come from home research with, or from field research, and by sheer accident. It does not matter if they are good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Just Wonderin

Postby stringunner » 11 16, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I scout the area over google earth and maps for months. Come spring and summer it is not uncommon to have 8-10 new exact locations to check out. Of those 8-10 maybe 2-3 usually pan out. I find it's the spots I stumble upon while going to or from a pre planned scouting spot that are the most fruitful.
stringunner