Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

tree stand newbie

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

tree stand newbie

Postby wawhitey » 12 13, 2016 •  [Post 1]

So ive always hunted from the ground. No stand, no blind. But next year im stepping outside my normal routine. Ive found a couple locations where a treestand would be a huge benefit, i cant deny it. So im going to buy a couple with the intention of hanging them in the summer and coming back to hunt them in september. So what should i get? Im more concerned with quality than price. Also, what are your thoughts on screw in steps? I already use them for my tcams, and i figure that would be easiest to pack. Plus i dont want to leave ladder steps in the woods to catch somebodys eye
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: tree stand newbie

Postby Swede » 12 13, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Wawhitey: Good question. When it comes to tree stand hunting; being comfortable for hours is critical. Elk don't come every hour or two. I want my stand comfortable and quiet. I have quite a few stands and have sat in even more. The Millennium M100 hang on is the best I have ever had or tried. The good news is the millennium can be purchased with extra hangers for under $30. If price is not critical I would get two stands and two extra hangers. That should be enough unless you are equipping friends or family.
I use screw in steps a lot. I must have about 100 lbs of them. I would not get the heavier ones as they are harder to screw in. They have the advantage of being better to hold onto and to step down on. Therefore, for safety I would get and use a HSS safety harness, and a safety line for each tree you have a stand in. The safety lines come three in a pack. They will not interfere with your climbing and you will not even need a safety strap around the tree when you get into your stand. The safety line is sufficient. Note a safety line is a good rope with a prussic knot loop attached. Don't ask why but people will steal your ropes, and will leave your stand alone. I don't get it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 12 13, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Don't ask why but people will steal your ropes, and will leave your stand alone. I don't get it.[/quote]

I dont steal peoples stuff, but on a couple occasions i have tied very complex knots into peoples ropes. I dont know why, i just get a kick out of it. Kind of letting them know i was there. :D
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Untying the knot gives the tree stand hunter something to do while waiting in the stand, or while waiting on the ground so the bow can be tied to the line. :lol:
BTW: The Millennium is very safe to hang and sit in. That is something I appreciate after struggling to hang some of the other larger stands.
The little cheap stands are acceptable for short periods, but not for long. Also some medium and larger stands have seats that are awful. I called one company, whose stand I purchased, and asked about their seat. I was told it was not made to sit on. Huh? Fortunately they sold a decent/good after market seat for that stand. Nobody in my camp would hunt out of it until I replaced the seat. I had no idea they made a good seat until I called to chew them out. We had named the stand "killer", and not because of all the elk killed from it. The stand originally came with a seat that caused real pain if sat on for any length of time. The pain of sitting was not the only problem. There was a round metal bar/tube that was just under my prostate. As I sat, some things went numb. When I stood up, there came a squirt. :oops:
The man I spoke to and ordered the new seat from in Alabama, or somewhere back that way, was very good to visit with and was helpful. I still don't understand a tree stand with a "killer" seat. :D
Swede

Postby stringunner » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:There was a round metal bar/tube that was just under my prostate. As I sat, some things went numb. When I stood up, there came a squirt. D

After reading this I was laughing so hard I think I had something go squirt!!! :lol:

On a serious note, my dad and I fought cheap stands for many years. Not anymore. After sitting in one of swedes M100 we were both convinced and we each bought two and with two extra brackets. So 2 stands, 4 brackets. Much much safer to put up and we can easily sit 12-14 hours comfortably.

Set the brackets mid summer, then when hunting season comes, find the best spot and put in your stand. With 4 brackets pre set, you have a good 4 options during your hunt. I can carry my stand in, Drop it in the bracket and be sitting in as fast as I can climb the tree. Leave the stand or take it with you to another spot with your preset bracket, it's that simple.
stringunner

Postby wawhitey » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 6]

How about this one? I think id feel a bit better shooting with a larger platform to stand on. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... Q_st%253Db
wawhitey

Postby stringunner » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 7]

That one will work great. Only downside is it's almost 20 lbs. the M100 is 12, or close to. So I guess it depends on how far you have to carry it from your truck to your tree. But yes, that will be a very nice stand.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Whitey, I agree with Stringunner.
I would remove the footrest, but that is probably a personal preference. I often like to walk out to the end of the stand to shoot. If I was a rifle hunter I might keep the footrest. Two of the guys I hunt with had footrests on their API stands for several years, but finally decided they were more of a nuisance than an asset. Removing the footrest will also lighten the load. BTW, that is a good price on that stand. It is cheaper than the smaller M100. I like it. A hunter could get lost walking around on that large of a shooting veranda. :D
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 16, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Just ordered one of the big ones, the m150. Ill practice with it at home, figure ill set it up in a tree and shoot my 3d target from the stand, see how i like it.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 16, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Whitey, let us know what you think after you experience it. I have never seen a 150. It looks excellent. If you can enjoy it in January, in a NE Washington tree for 6-8 continuous hours; it is stupendous. :D
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 23, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:Whitey, let us know what you think after you experience it. I have never seen a 150. It looks excellent. If you can enjoy it in January, in a NE Washington tree for 6-8 continuous hours; it is stupendous. :D

Ill be damned if im sitting in it that long in january! Anyway its here and once all the deer have dropped their antlers ill be setting it up in my back yard and shooting my target with it. Dont want to spook my yard deer. A 5x7 ive never seen has been hanging out the last few days, hes declared himself king of the alfalfa. Hopin he drops his antlers right here behind the house, and me shooting my bow from a treestand isnt very conducive to that.
wawhitey

Postby six » 12 24, 2016 •  [Post 12]

A friend just sent me this info.

"That millennium stand (M100U) that you posted you were wanting is now on sale at Cabelas... not sure if you knew or not. $145 - and free shipping and another $20 off any purchase over $150. So just find a $5-10 item to add in and take another $20 off."
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 12 26, 2016 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:Ill be damned if im sitting in it that long in january!

I agree. There is no stand that good. I am sure the M150 will be great. enjoy.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 26, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Bought an m150 for my dad for christmas too. First time i think hes been legitimately excited about a xmas present as far as i can tell. He only has one old treestand, and sets it up well ahead of elk season, its a dedicated elk stand. Now he has one he can use for early arch deer, hopefully get a big muley to go with his big whitetail and blacktail on the wall.
wawhitey

Postby stringunner » 12 30, 2016 •  [Post 15]

six wrote:A friend just sent me this info.

"That millennium stand (M100U) that you posted you were wanting is now on sale at Cabelas... not sure if you knew or not. $145 - and free shipping and another $20 off any purchase over $150. So just find a $5-10 item to add in and take another $20 off."

Where do you see the $20 off of $150 purchase?
stringunner

Postby stringunner » 12 31, 2016 •  [Post 16]

my dad and I just purchased another m100u (one each) on cabelas today. For $150 with shipping, that is a really good price. The stand also comes with a 35 foot safely line and a chain cam lock receiver. The safety line itself is a $25-30 dollar value.

When we purchased our other m100U's this summer, we paid $200 each on amazon. So this sale for $150 is a REALLY good deal for one of the best tree stands on the market.
stringunner

Postby Charina » 01 25, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I have not hunted from a tree stand for about 20 years when I last used a homemade hang-on. This last fall I found a few locations that elk regularly pass by that I hope to hang a stand at to fill the limited entry tag I anticipate drawing this year.

I'm torn between the M100U and the M150. And I don't have cash to burn to try both, nor do I know of any local dealers to get my hands on both to get a feel for them. It seems Cabelas doesn't carry them any longer.

Swede and other M100 users, do you ever feel you'd like the platform on the 100 a little bit larger? I think that is my primary concern and reason to lean towards the M150, despite the additional weight.
Charina

Postby Swede » 01 25, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Charina wrote:Swede and other M100 users, do you ever feel you'd like the platform on the 100 a little bit larger? I think that is my primary concern and reason to lean towards the M150, despite the additional weight.

Not really. I never thought about it. I put the seat in the upright position when I stand to shoot so I have a lot of room. I have never sat and shot an animal. Maybe I will this year.
I have never sat in a M150, but if I get a chance to try Stringunner's this year, I will check it out for sure. More room to maneuver on can't hurt, but a heavier stand to pack may be a problem if you are hauling it a long way. I don't think a little extra weight and size would be a significant problem in the tree as you will simply be lifting the stand into position and placing the stud into the receiver.
Swede