Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Long?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Long?

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2017 •  [Post 1]

How long can you sit in a tree stand, and how does limiting your time there change your strategy?

I can sit in my stand all day in a good stand if I want to, but often go in for a morning hunt, go out for lunch then return. If I want to hunt just the best part of the day in my stand, then I will call in the AM and go to my perch in the early PM. Rarely do I get an opportunity at an elk during the first hour of daylight. Stringunner has had a better luck early, but I think it is due to his stand locations. I think different areas call for different measures. What has been you experience?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Long?

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

While I havent spent much time in tree stands for years. In fact I sort of quit deer hunting in Mn with my dad. I couldnt do it.
While in the desert I was hunting out of a box blind. I hunt bear from a blind and spend some time in a small goose pit, Its a mental game for me. I didnt have the patience when younger.

40 years ago a fellow I fished Isle Royal with was a big muskie fisherman. His comment was something like this."Make every cast like it is your only cast" I started hunting and trapping the same way. Hunt your best every moment, set every trap like it is the only set.

I spent a lot of time in blinds. I seldom get " bored", time doesnt drag, I focus ( or totally relaxed) Today I spent 5 1/2 hours in a small pit blind with my dog in the pouring rain, and enjoyed it.

My dads best friend was the tree stand king. He could be in a deer stand at 5:00AM and never get out untill 10 minutes after shooting light was gone
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby stringunner » 01 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

My dad and I generally sit from before light to after shooting light. So 12-14 hours. It's hard some days and easier others. Game cameras have really made a difference in my ability to have patience for that long. I don't sit stands I have no confidence in. It's all a crap shoot for sure, but cameras have helped. I don't like leaving the stand for lunch or whatever for a couple reasons, one if I'm sitting next to bedding areas I don't want to disturb elk going out or coming back. I also only have 9-10'days to hunt and don't want to miss an elk while at camp eating lunch. And a couple of my spots are an hour walk and steep, I don't like doing that hike more than once a day. The first 3-5 days are easy to sit that long. The last 5 days it gets taxing on my patience. I generally get elk on my cams at all times of the day so sitting those stands with confidence is easier. I only have one or two stands where I can say with confidence that elk come in in either the morning or evening or mid day so being there for those times is of the most profit.
stringunner

Postby stringunner » 01 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I more mention- a comfortable tree stand, we now use the millinium 100u, makes a big difference in being able to sit all day. We did it with our old uncomfortable stands but it was much harder. Now we risk falling asleep in these new stands! :D
stringunner

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I agree with the cameras giving confidence. I always tell my brother in law if he has the patience of a trail camera he has a great chance every year if he sits... I like running and gunning in the morning and sitting on the afternoons. 5-6 hours is the longest I've ever set.
Elkhunttoo

Postby ishy » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I've done the all day thing a couple times. I'll get out for an hour or so mid day to stretch and eat. 4-6 hours is a way more enjoyable though.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Wahpeton » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Sitting all day is hard, especially if there is a day or two with little action. I really struggle if I hear activity and I'm not sure that activity is headed my way (bugling, crashing, etc.). Do I get down and run and gun and chase or sit tight and have faith that if I am sitting on a good spot they will come? Any insight into what others do in this situation would be very much appreciated.

Conflicted.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Swede » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Unless something weird happens, I get out at scheduled times. When I go in early morning, I get out for a break about noon. I go get a bite to eat, even if it is just a short walk out of the area. I get back in fairly early in the afternoon and stay till dark. Bugling bulls or a herd passing by will not get me to come out. I don't like to sit in a place I have no confidence in. Over time I think I am well ahead of the game.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby OregonTK » 04 11, 2017 •  [Post 9]

For elk I'm pretty much an afternoon to dark tree stand hunter. My primary stand is over a wallow and water source and the majority of the bulls seem to wander in from 5pm to dark.

For deer I can and have stayed in a stand all day. But hunting blacktails in the late season can be cold, wet, and windy. Often times my sit gets cut short by the elements.
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK