Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What have you shot?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What have you shot?

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was wondering what others have killed from their tree stands. I have shot elk, deer and one small coyote. I was bored one day when the coyote came by. :twisted: Oh, I shot a squirrel too. He was irritating with his 1/2 hour long constant chattering. I wanted a little peace and quiet. It got quiet right away after the shot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What have you shot?

Postby six » 01 25, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Whitetail deer
Squirrel
Raccoon
Possum
Grouse
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby the weasel » 01 25, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Deer
Badger
the weasel

First Name: john

Postby Deanmac » 01 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Coyote, wild boar, deer
Deanmac

Postby OregonTK » 01 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Elk and blacktail deer for me.
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby ishy » 01 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Whitetail, bear, elk. Bear was what really sold me on stands and showed me all its advantages.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Elk, although that shooting the noise little squirrel thing is tempting at times
Elkhunttoo

Postby stringunner » 01 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Elk and deer. A bear this year as well that I didn't recover which still bothers me.
stringunner

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 01 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Whitetail, sika, squirrel, and a Fox once when first started hunting. Almost got a couple shots on coyotes but they always move through so quickly.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Swede » 01 29, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I have found coyotes are vey difficult. They must have at least eight eyes to see everything that is around them. I have thought I had an easy shot, only to be busted and the coyote fled. The one I shot was right at the edge of the water and had all eyes looking near the ground. Too bad for him.
Elk and deer are a lot easier than coyotes, but you need to be careful with them too.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 01 29, 2017 •  [Post 11]

From the tree - Bunch of Whitetail and 3 Coyote. Add in one complete miss on a coyote because I tried to thread an arrow into a spot I wouldn't have if it was a deer.

From the ground - Whitetail, Elk, Grouse. I'd be able to add a Black Bear to my "From the tree" list, but was too cheap to buy the tag :x

Haven't really hunted much else, want to get out for Turkeys this year, Bear if I can swing an extra trip west.... Waterfowl usually interferes with deer season because I never tag out early enough and then I'm pretty burned out by late season.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby ishy » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Brendan, if you ever hunt Idaho lots of units have discounted bear for $30 for NR. They also will let you use a nr deer tag on any predator.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Brendan » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

ishy wrote:Brendan, if you ever hunt Idaho lots of units have discounted bear for $30 for NR. They also will let you use a nr deer tag on any predator.

Thanks - I'll definitely keep that in mind if I hunt there!
Brendan

Postby Beendare » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I haven't done much elk hunting from a treestand...mostly deer.

Here is one dink i passed....
buck und std800pix.jpg
cemetery draw buck
buck und std800pix.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 9403 times
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Brendan wrote: I'd be able to add a Black Bear to my "From the tree" list, but was too cheap to buy the tag :x

Have you ever eaten a berry fed mountain bear? Well worth the cost of the tag! At the risk of getting banned from the forum, im gonna say it, i think bear meat is better than elk. I love elk and deer meat, but put a deer steak, an elk steak, and a bear steak in front of me and ill eat the bear first, every time. Also the fat is great for biscuits and pie crusts.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I want to support what Whitey says about the meat of a berry fed bear, or even a good forest bear. It is fine, but I have passed on all opportunities to shoot one. I have eaten some good bear meat, but it does not excite me at all. Caution: Never plan to eat a garbage dump bear or one that has been feeding on dead fish. Yuck. They taste terrible. If someone offers you their bear meat, just say No. It is a garbage dump kill.
It was funny the time I urinated on a bear that came under my tree stand. I had a bear tag with me when it happened, but I did not want the critter. In a tree stand not far away a friend watched what happened and was surprised. He really wanted a bear to shoot as he likes to eat bear meat. The next year he shot a bear the size of a German Shepherd. There was not much meat, but it was probably good.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:
Brendan wrote: I'd be able to add a Black Bear to my "From the tree" list, but was too cheap to buy the tag :x

Have you ever eaten a berry fed mountain bear? Well worth the cost of the tag! At the risk of getting banned from the forum, im gonna say it, i think bear meat is better than elk. I love elk and deer meat, but put a deer steak, an elk steak, and a bear steak in front of me and ill eat the bear first, every time. Also the fat is great for biscuits and pie crusts.

I have not, but I would really like to. For bears I am most interested in spot and stalk, fall berry fed would be the best, at the very least grasses, acorns, corn, etc - no fish eating coastal bears. I am also not really interested in hunting over bait, with dogs, etc.

Hard to give up Elk and Deer hunting for bear though, although I'm sure I'll do it at some point. Small chance I can make it happen in May this year. Who knows, maybe I do it once and decide it's not for me...
Brendan

Postby wawhitey » 03 10, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Where are you hunting bear in may? After stalking several bears in april / may in washington last spring, i finally pulled the trigger on one i called in to 10 yards with a closed reed distress in early may. Calling is an under rated technique. Keep that option open!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Beendare » 03 11, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:I want to support what Whitey says about the meat of a berry fed bear, or even a good forest bear.

Agreed. Then I've shot them eating those rotting Alaskan salmon and they were terrible.

You are what you eat, eh?

Same with deer. Those corn or soy fed whitetails are excellent. I've shot mulies in the sagey high country that were inedible...and just fed them to my dog. In fact I had to expunge one from my freezer as even my ice cubes had a sagey odor.

The meat from those muleys nibbling on brush is a far cry from elk that eat grass.

I think thats why wild goats and the sheep species are so much different in taste too. The goats eat anything....and are just too pungent for me....while the sheep eating grass are delicious.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Brendan » 03 12, 2017 •  [Post 20]

wawhitey wrote:Where are you hunting bear in may? After stalking several bears in april / may in washington last spring, i finally pulled the trigger on one i called in to 10 yards with a closed reed distress in early may. Calling is an under rated technique. Keep that option open!

If I get the time - SW Montana. I'd like to use it as a chance to scout some new terrain for Elk Hunting, with a chance at getting a bear... Just really started thinking about it more, but need to keep an eye on the snow depth and the time(s) that I could go...

Now that you mention it - I was working through a thick area doing some cow calling for Elk two years ago in September, and had a BIG black bear get pretty close to me. Surprised me pretty good, but looking back I wish I'd had a tag!
Brendan