Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand mishaps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand mishaps

Postby OregonTK » 01 30, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone had any mishaps, close calls while getting in, getting out, or just while waiting in your stand?

Last August on the morning of the third day of archery season in Oregon. I sat in one stand for about 4 hours and decided to get down and sit in another stand that afternoon/evening. The tree was a juicy Engleman Spruce that I've used for 3-4 years. I unhooked and had climbed out with my hands firmly on the stand and limb, my right foot on a screw in step. I placed my left foot on the next step and as I put weight on it the step popped out and I dropped approximately 14 inches. There was a stub of a limb about 4-5 inches long I had cut and left for a hand hold. That stub caught me about my belt and raked up my belly to my sternum leaving a severe scrape an inch wide and a foot long. I proceeded to work my way down, and decided to stay out of that stand for awhile. I didn't go hunting that afternoon because the scrape hurt like hell. Sure enough a 6 pt bull showed up at the other wallow stand at 5:30ish and wallowed 12 yds from it. This stand is in a nice solid tamarack tree.

I'm going to get one of those lifelines before next archery season. Also considering some ladder steps that attach to the tree.

Anybody else had any close calls?
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Re: Treestand mishaps

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2017 •  [Post 2]

It was a cold afternoon in September 1996 when I arrived at my tree stand. Instantly I noticed my drop cord was missing. "Oh well" I thought; "it will be no problem to carry my equipment up the tree and get into my stand." That was a terrible decision. After about two hours, the cold front that moved in had chilled me considerably, so I decided to climb down and hunt on the ground. Shortly before reaching the top of the ladder, the limb I used to support my left foot broke. I fell backwards, landing on my head and shoulders. I knew the time I started down as that was considered in my decision to go and do some elk calling. When consciousness returned I had no idea where I was, or why I was in that situation.
As consciousness progressively returned I wondered where my son was. Then the reality dawned that he was away for another day but his friend was hunting in the area. As I gathered my faculties, I saw my pickup off in the distance and walked to it. It is extremely rare to be able to see my vehicle from any tree stand location, but that was the right place and time. When I arrived at the truck in about five minutes I noted it was 45 minutes since I started down the tree. I was out over 1/2 hour.
Years later I was told I should have gone to a doctor as that fall could have caused a blood clot and been fatal. My pain made me sick to my stomach at the time, but I drove to where I picked up the friend. He drove from there. We were supposed to go to camp that evening, but I just had to go home. In spite of my wife's reluctance, I insisted on going back out the next day and killed an elk where the friend had sat the evening before. Stubborn Swede!
Since then, I have never taken equipment up a tree without a drop line. If a limb is used, I will always maintain three points of contact at all times, and ensure the limbs are sturdy. My foot or hand only rests right next to the tree. It is never out on the limb. With very few exceptions, I have a safety line on from the moment the ground is left or I am on a well secured ladder. No sane person ever wants an experience like that. Ever.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 01 31, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I haven't had any yet....only a matter of time. I have had situations where when in the tree setting the stands, particularly when I'm alone or with my young son, I have had moments of fear, you know like the kind that make your knees weak and adrenaline pump. I can't recall now what caused any of those other than maybe a foot slipping or hand hold and thinking to myself, wow that would have been bad.

Definitely try and take every precaution I can. Always connected when leaving the ground until I come back down. But there have been times where I have chanced it and by His grace been kept safe. Not something I desire to chance on a regular basis.
stringunner

Postby ishy » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

No and hopefully never will. I've imaged a couple. Mostly foot injuries, blown up calcaneus is the most common and a doosy to recover from.
Swede and everyone else if you ever have a head injury, please go get scanned. It's easy to check, but can be life altering/ending if you don't. Look up Liam Neeson's wife Natash Richardson, she took a "little tumble" skiing, but didn't get checked out right away. By the time she was checked it was too late.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Ishy, you are right. I did not believe how dangerous the situation was at the time. I trust the Lord watches over me, but it is also scriptural not to put Him to the test. I hope there never is a next time and am careful to avoid that happening again. Note to self and others too: Stay tethered to the tree whenever you leave the ground.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Now that we know about the time swede fell out on his head....so many other posts and such make sense. :shock: :D :lol:

I wonder if Oly has ever fell on his head? That might explain the black bow with blue strings he has coming. 8-)
stringunner

Postby six » 02 05, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Close call here.

I raced home from college with a new climbing tree stand. I don't remember the brand, but it was all metal. A heavy sucker to carry out to the woods for sure. My grandfather had seeded a 20 acre field to alfalfa earlier in the year and it was full of deer every night. I found a trail and tree that would work nicely. I don't remember if the stand came with directions or I was already too smart to need them. After all I was in college and had read an article in field and stream about using a climbing stand.

I fastened the tree stand to the a maple tree, tied my bow to my rope, and off I went. I remember thinking whats this strap for? Just prior to leaving it at my grandpas house. Didn't think I needed the extra clutter. Turns out it was to keep the top and bottom tethered. I would say at about 15 feet up I stopped to see my view out into the field and as I twisted around by by went the bottom platform. Well it slid down the tree about 10 feet and left me with my hands on the side of the upper platform. Feet dangling. With nothing under my feet at 15 feet in the air I realized I needed to do something fast. I rocked back and forth a couple of times and swung my feet to the tree. The tree was just small enough I could wrap my legs partially around it. I worked my way down the tree like a bear cub. Once I got to the bottom I found a long pole and pushed up on the front of the top platform and that came down in the same fashion.

Well I hunted on the ground that night and did eventually use that climber. I still like to use a climber, but I make sure my harness is hooked on before my boots leave the ground. I didn't even know what a tree harness was when this occurred.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Texasgamehunter » 02 05, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I haven't had a close call yet and hope to not have. However I know of a guy that fell climbing down a pine tree using a summit climber. Broke his hip and some ribs. Up to this point of finding it out I always climbed without any safety devices. After that I bought a harness and lifeline and refuse to get off the ground without them. Some buddies make fun of me for it but I don't care. They make fun of me wearing my snake boots too.... Till one of them got bit on the foot this past summer. Wear your safety gear gents it's better to be injured than to be dead.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Texasgamehunter