Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand recommendations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand recommendations

Postby lamrith » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So like anything I am sure there will be a good bit of personal preference on what people like in a non self climbing tree stand stand.
I had a self climber last year, but found out quickly that the place I hunt are not conducive to using a climber so I sold it.
There are so many options out there these days, it is hard to know what to look (out) for?

What are peoples thoughts on the straps vs Chain mounts for the stands of today like the M100?
Do you have a preference on which you like best?

Being out of state I am looking at the possibility of installing just a mount for a stand at a few locations when we go out to scout in July. Then just bring the stand in and hang it each day I stand hunt. Issues to consider with a setup being out in the elements that long?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Re: Tree stand recommendations

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I sure like the M100 and think the M150 would be even better. I have not tried an M150 yet. I plan to take over, er I mean "test" Stringunner's this year while he sits some garbage hole. :D I will need the quality time in his so I can properly evaluate it. I would hate to have him in an untried stand. The M150 is a little heavier, but I would not consider it a problem for the places I have hunted. The chain will not deteriorate in the sun or rain. That is a plus.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Sadly Swede- Dad and I purchased the m100s again and not the m150s. So we will have to wait on testing one of those.

I have not used the the ratchet style strap for the m100s. We purchased all chain brackets. We like to hang them out starting in July and we also use pad locks (just a deterrent really) so chain was our best option. I am really unwilling to test the ratchet ones based on my experience with other stands with ratchet style straps. Too many options/causes for failure. Unless I was willing to change them out with new ones every year. The chain ones are just solid.

I have owned several brands of stands in the past 5 years trying to find the cheapest most comfortable. I now only buy the m100. I can find them for about 130-150 and that includes a chain bracket and 35 foot safety rope.

Did what you describe above, hung multiple chain brackets and carried my stand in and out each day depending on where I wanted to sit. Several of my spots are real close to the roads, less than 1/2 mile so it's easy enough to carry it in and out and it won't get stolen that way. I had another 2 locations where I simply left the stands up for a 10 period once the season started, these were far from roads and off the path of most hunters. I also padlocked the stands in.
stringunner

Postby lamrith » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Great info guys!

That M150 sounds lice, seeing as how I am 6'4". A bit heavy for sure though @ 19#. I am thinking that would be a unit to bring into a general area on day one and leave stashed in deep to be moved from one location to another without coming all the way back to the road.

Sounds like Chain mounts too, that is the way I was leaning to begin with for same reasons as mentioned.

How many mounts do you M100 guys have? Is it the same mount for the 100 and 150?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby stringunner » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have three stands and 5 mounts. My dad has the same, so we have 6 m100s and 10 mounts between the two of us.

And yes I believe it is the same mount for the m150, but a quick email to the company would be a good idea but I'm 99.9% sure it is the same mount.

The longer platform would be nice as I tend to feel more comfortable standing and shooting and it is more comfortable, space wise to have the seat up, with the longer platform on the m150 you might not need to put the seat up to shoot, but again I have never tried the m150. One thing I do practice is standing and allowing the back of my leg to lift the seat at the same time so it happens all with one movement. It took a bit of practice but I have it down now. And no don't try it with the crapper seat at home thinking you can practice then year round, it don't work! Don't ask me how I know! :o 8-)

Seriously can't go wrong with those stands.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Dang. I was sitting in my cushy recliner thinking about testing Stringunner's M150, and now he says he got another M100. Larry it is up to you to come through. If you get an M150, I will gladly test it out for you. Just put it up where that big bull RJ posted on the forum will show up.
Swede

Postby Old school » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I bought myself the M150 this past year for Christmas. It was on sale at Cabelas and I figured I deserved it, I'd been nice not naughty, etc...

Cant wait to put it to use this year.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Old school wrote:I bought myself the M150 this past year for Christmas.

Are you going to be able to try it in the elk woods this year? If you do, don't fall asleep in it. I think that could be the only downside on a M150. If it is too much of a problem, I can trade you for some that will keep you awake. :lol:
Swede

Postby Wahpeton » 04 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I was walking through the Cabelas in Woodbury MN last weekend and came upon that M150 stand.
WOW! That thing looks like an RV for a tree.
Nice.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton