Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What have you seen?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What have you seen?

Postby olympushunt » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Swede's thread on what have you shot from a stand got me to thinking. I have only shot elk (I think....lol) out of stands but this is due to me not wanting to mess up my elk time. My luck I would shoot a stupid coyote and he would be floppin while a big 6x6 was coming down the trail. NOT ideal. So I tend to keep my arrows in my quiver unless there is a good reason to let fly. I have had numerous numerous times been tempted....cattle (blunts) squirrels, etc. So I started thinking about what have I seen out of stands. I've passed to many elk and deer to count waiting for Mr Big...but here is my list.
Here goes"
Blacktail deer
Mule deer
Rocky Mtn Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Black bear
Antelope
Squirrels
Chip Munks
Coyotes
Cougar
Birds
Rabbits
Badger
People
Cattle
....That's all I can think of at the moment. On my wish list is: Bobcat, turkey, and manbearpig. :lol:
olympushunt

Re: What have you seen?

Postby stringunner » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Mule deer
Rocky Mtn Elk
Black bear
Antelope
Squirrels
Chip Munks
Coyotes
Cougar
Birds
Rabbits
People
Swede
Cattle
Fox
Turkey
Mice
Bees
Badger
Have had wolves within 50-60 yards but no sight of them.

....That's all I can think of at the moment
stringunner

Postby olympushunt » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 3]

stringunner wrote:Mule deer
Rocky Mtn Elk
Black bear
Antelope
Squirrels
Chip Munks
Coyotes
Cougar
Birds
Rabbits
People
Swede
Cattle
Fox
Turkey
Mice
Bees
Badger
Have had wolves within 50-60 yards but no sight of them.

....That's all I can think of at the moment

A Swede? What kinda critter is that? That's weird! LOL!
Were the wolves in Oregon???
olympushunt

Postby stringunner » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Yeah a Swede once walked into the stand I was sitting in. He came in slow enough but making just enough noise, I honestly thought it was an elk. Then stepped out from behind the timber and Looked like an Oompa Loompa in camo from my 30ft perch. :lol:

later that night, he found me at my truck and introduced himself, said hi, my name is ...... and I was like, as in the guy that wrote this book here in my hunting pack? Lol. Cool to reminisce of how chance happenings can turn into really cool friendships.

Wolves were in Wyoming. Never came into the water but we could see em moving in and out of the brush, howled right there at 50 yards from me. Turning my undershorts inside out as mentioned on another thread for how to keep scent down, was no longer an option! I'm pretty sure the shorts and pants both ended up in the garbage!
stringunner

Postby olympushunt » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I can see it now....you just finished reading the chapter about the "bear trick" and think...dang that is funny, I'm going to try that the next time I hear a noise under my stand. LOL! That would be an interesting way to meet the author!!!!
olympushunt

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have seen most of what you two clowns have seen except Blacktail deer and Roosevelt elk. I have seen turkeys, flying geese and cranes, and maybe a Bobcat. Don't remember.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Lol- I only pick on friends! What a good sport you are John!

I thought of another one- whooping cranes. One year a couple years ago there must have been a migration route or something that went over where we hunt, it seemed like for 1-2 weeks whooping cranes were flying over nearly day. Only that one year. It's was cool the first couple days. By day 8 or 9 I was ready to start flock shooting with my arrows. Too bad they fly so high they are barely visable.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2017 •  [Post 8]

[quote="stringunner"]Lol- I only pick on friends! What a good sport you are John!

I am a little different in many ways. I hardly discriminate against anyone or group. Probably everyone knows that by now. I am an equal opportunity harasser. Now where are RJ, WW, Roosiebull, and that darn Beendare? I have been going pretty easy on them lately. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wahpeton » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 9]

A couple to add from North Dakota and Minnesota that I have seen from the stand.

Fisher, black bear, pheasant, Pine martin, weasels, mink, Wolves (central minnesota), coyote, ruffed grouse, grey fox, red fox, combines, tractors, trains.

Not a lot of better spots to be than in a treestand to absorb it all.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton