Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

climbers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

climbers

Postby Roosiebull » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 1]

does anyone have a good recommendation for a climber?

comfort isn't a huge issue, it will not be all day sits (90 minutes at a time) I want something packable, most important, secure feeling in the tree, and ease of use.

I want to use it for calling lions, I think in the timber, getting my movement off of the ground, and having the sight advantage you gain from above would be huge assets in some areas. I have tried ground blinds, but cannot stand the blind spots, I like to be able to see. I normally just hunt off of the ground, but it's incredible hard to stay motionless for that long...cats blend in, are silent, and spot movement for a living....I feel the chance of them seeing me, before I see them is high in some setups, and would like to add a climber to my arsenal for certain situations, thanks.
Roosiebull

Re: climbers

Postby Brendan » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Lots of opinions on this one.

How far do you need to pack it? Are your trees straight enough without branches that a climber will work, or do you want a hang on with ladder steps? Do you want a front shooting rail? Deeper seat, or more minimal?

I'm a big fan of lone wolf, but some people prefer stands like Summit better as Lone Wolf tend to be the most "minimalist". I prefer no shooting rail as I use these for archery hunting more than rifle.

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com ... tands.aspx
https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com ... tands.aspx

I use a slightly older version of their hand climber, and their hang on. Both can strap to my backpack fairly easily - although adding in the climbing steps does make it a little more clunky.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby six » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I know a lot of guys LOVE their Lone Wolf's. I did not. I gave it to my son in law and he loves it. My older Ol Man seemed much more secure. Maybe if I would have used a Lone Wolf before the Ol Man I would have liked it. The Ol Man is heavier tho.

olmanoutdoors.com
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have not tried many climbers. I did not care for them at all. Of the two I tried, the API was the better.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Never tried a climber.

Interested to know what sounds you use to call lions though?
stringunner

Postby Roosiebull » 03 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Brendan wrote:Lots of opinions on this one.

How far do you need to pack it? Are your trees straight enough without branches that a climber will work, or do you want a hang on with ladder steps? Do you want a front shooting rail? Deeper seat, or more minimal?

I think more minimal would be best, I would probably not pack it more than a couple miles. the spots in mind have good trees for the purpose. I only want one that can be mobile, and set up quick, that is why I want a climber.
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

This is probably the most lightweight and packable that I know of:

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com ... ASHCC.aspx

Less than 15lbs, 26"x20" and packs very flat so is easy to attach to a pack. But - it's a minimalist design. Small seat, no front bar, small platform, so not everyone likes them. This might not rate real high on your "Secure Feeling" category because of the design, but they're safe as long as you wear a harness (as you should with any climber). They're also expensive... But, I like them, especially for archery hunting.

Summit is another design that a lot of people like, but bigger and heavier:

http://www.summitstands.com/treestands/ ... treestands
Brendan

Postby Roosiebull » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Thanks! That is what I was looking for
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 9]

As mentioned, Make sure of your trees you plan to hunt. I bought a climber last year, it was a good rig, easy to use, comfy and safe, but when I got to my hunting area I realized it would take a day just to prep a single location to use the climber, and by doing so I would not be concealed at all and would stand out like a sore thumb.

If you know a climber will work for your hunting area I had a Summit, older Viper model and it was nice. Built in straps to wear it like a backpack and was I think just under 20#. I actually was able to toss my daypack inside the frame of the two halves. Not super comfy for a long hike, but worked fine and better than trying to strap the stand to the pack..
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Roosiebull » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Thanks for the tip, I will go scout the areas when I get back home with that in mind.
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 11]

If you've never used a climber before - make sure you practice before the season somewhere. Getting everything up the tree, situated, hung, organized - can take a little bit of figuring stuff out.

Every year the first time I try to use one during deer season, it always feels like a little bit of a cluster f*** and I get up the tree sweating and wondering if I've scared everything away for miles...
Brendan

Postby Swede » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 12]

It is good to remember you have to remove all limbs from the tree as you ascend with a climber. Sometimes a hang on stand is every bit as easy and may provide a better experience.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:It is good to remember you have to remove all limbs from the tree as you ascend with a climber. Sometimes a hang on stand is every bit as easy and may provide a better experience.

I'm starting to see that, maybe that would be my best course of action, especially since I only have a couple places in mind anyhow...a couple hang on stands may make life easier....I guess I had a bit of a misconception of climbers...thanks everyone for the food for thought...very helpful.
Roosiebull

Postby Wahpeton » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 14]

My 2 cents.
If i only had one stand it would be a high quality hang on and a couple sets of climbing sticks that pack down decent. This allows you to deal with all sorts of trees, no matter what the branch situation is.

If I already had a good hang on system and still wanted a climber then I think it's important to experience it before you jump in, it's not for everyone.

I've hunted out of numerous climbers in Minnesota and North Dakota with archery equipment. The API stand I currently use is a 10 year old model maybe? I picked it up off craigslist for $100, it's a "bowhunter" model and I specifically tried to find one because I hunted out of my uncle's identical stand and I knew that is what I wanted for myself. I've hunted out of Lone wolf, Summit and a couple entry level climbers as well. A high quality climber is a much better experience.

For me it was important to hunt out of different models to know what I wanted. The API I ended up with wouldn't even have been on my radar.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Wahpeton

Postby Roosiebull » 04 08, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I walked out a couple areas I had in mind, and I do think a hang on stand may be the smartest thing....and if I ever chose to, I could use it for deer or elk in the future...there are not many climber ready trees around....since my mind has been on the thought of that, I have noticed that.

thanks again guys for the feedback, glad I asked here
Roosiebull