Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Locations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Locations

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Oly had me looking at an area we are considering for a tree stand location. After we discussed the mater; he wrote and said "it is not 1991 any more". He was referring to the difficulty of finding a good tree stand locations near where we have hunted in the past. It seems the easy and the good locations are being used by other tree stand hunters. We are going farther and farther to look over spots to hunt. What are some of you other tree stand hunters experiencing in regard to competition for good stand opportunities?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Locations

Postby OregonTK » 04 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I had a stand in a big saddle 3 years ago over a well used trail. Had some cows and calves go by and figured it was just a matter of time before a bull would wander through. Ended up moving that stand to a wallow and killing a bull a couple hours after hanging it. Next year there was a Taj mahal of stands built within sight of where I'd had the saddle stand . All kinds of mineral blocks, garbage can up on the platform to keep gear dry if it rains. They stay up in the stand for several days at a time. So I haven't bothered putting the stand back in the saddle the last two years.
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Re: Tree Stand Locations

Postby stringunner » 04 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Definitely getting difficult since someone wrote a book about how successful people can be hunting elk from a tree stand!!!! :D

In the past 3 years some of our best locations have been by finding wet spots or near non existent seeps and helping these locations spring forth a little more water. These are not located on any maps then nor viewable from google earth (for the most part) and no other hunters know about them. Eventually they will be located by hunters but hopefully we get a few good years before that. It can take a couple years though before the animals have found them and begin to regularly use them. Patience, if you dig it, they will come!
stringunner