Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Caught Off Guard

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Caught Off Guard

Postby Swede » 05 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Have you ever been in a situation while tree stand hunting, where you were just not ready at that important moment when things happened?

I was just settling into my tree stand, with my harness on, my pack hung and opened up so I could get things in and out, and I was seated. It was time to pull up my bow on the drop line. As I looked down, I knew I had messed up badly. Right by my bow was a fairly large bull elk. It was a 4X4 or 5X5. He had come in right behind me and was planning to get a drink. What could or what should I do. I decided to try to slowly bring the bow up and hope I did not spook him. It did not work. I really don't know for sure that I spooked him, but instead of getting a drink, he just kept on walking by. Swede went home that season with no elk. Priorities, priorities. Bring up your bow first, then arrange things and settle in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Caught Off Guard

Postby ishy » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Bears are the worst just because they can be so silent. The worst I didn't see until he was 5 yards behind the tree. Of course he was the biggest one we had seen that year. I was totally flustered, didn't start the video camera and then proceeded to blow the chip shot.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

ishy wrote:The worst I didn't see until he was 5 yards behind the tree.

WOW! That is almost within my range. No wonder you were flustered.
Swede

Postby ishy » 06 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Was your bear "shot" a distance shot or straight down?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

"MY" bear was nearly straight down at the foot of my tree stand ladder. It was sniffing to determine what kind of snack or meal was in the tree.
Swede