Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Time

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Time

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

How much time or what percent of your elk hunting time do you plan on spending in a tree stand this season?

I really want to spent almost all of my elk hunting time in my Millennium M100, unless Stringunner wants me in his M150 for a test run. Ideally I would put a week in a stand in Oregon and shoot a critter, then go to Idaho and spend a while in one there and get one to fill another tag. The Lord knows how these things will really go. He never gives me a preview so every day is a new adventure. I don't know if you have figured this out, but I actually enjoy tree stand hunting. I hear people say all kinds of things about sitting and waiting in a tree, but for me it does not get better.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Time

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I don't know how much time I will get (not enough) this year. I think I will be changing jobs in the next few months so it could be a very different hunting season then I was planning on. My normal day if I am in the woods for the hole day is run and gun in the morning and then sit water holes in the afternoon... this year I will hopefully be ground blinding in two different areas. Now it's just a matter of getting time off to hunt.
Elkhunttoo

Postby stringunner » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If I get to hunt this year, it will be the first week of the season and so I plan now that 100% of it will be in a tree stand. Unless there is a herd or herds running around calling then I will try and run and gun those. It doesn't happen often first week or anytime where we hunt but when it does it can be fun. Otherwise treestands for me.
stringunner

Postby Tigger » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Sorry boys, my answer is 0. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Not a moment. I hunt deer from tree stands, the last thing I want to do is go out west and hunt in one.

Having said that, I will spend a lot of time in a tree stand this year and hopefully kill another nice whitetail buck from one. Last year it was a 128" 4X4.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Tigger it is interesting that you deer hunt from a stand and hunt on the ground for elk. I do the exact opposite. Of coarse I don't hunt Whitetails. I will go after Mulies or Blacktails. I might shoot a mulie from my stand if one wanders by, or I could find a good tree stand location for Blacktails, but haven't gone up a tree much for one.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Yeah, we are kinda opposites, eh? I shot this 5X5 a couple years ago out of my main stand location.

Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Minnesota used to have at least one fine buck. Hopefully there are some more to chase there.
Swede