Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Patterning Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Patterning Elk

Postby Swede » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

We need to be able to predict where elk will be at sometime in the daylight in order to have any confidence in our tree stand location. We would agree it is important in determining where we hang out game cameras unless you are ok with just occasional random or maybe night pictures only. So what are you looking for. and what is you order of preference?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Patterning Elk

Postby stringunner » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

With cameras there have been years where a specific spot was getting hit so frequent (4-5 times per week for 2-3 weeks prior to opener) by multiple elk that I figured if I hunted it I would have a likely chance. There have been other years where a spot is so intermittent (1 maybe 2 pics every 8-10 days) that I don't even bother to sit the spot.

So many factors disturb the frequency that it is all still a major crap shoot to me. We have one stand that for several years has bucks near every day in the am and pm. We know we can shoot a buck in a 3 day period sitting that stand until... one of us shoots one and then all the bucks go away, it's weird but has happened 4 times now. Elk are also on this stand near every other day the month of August until the day before the opener and then not another elk the whole season, we have 5 years of pics documenting this.

We have run cameras for 6/7 years now in the area and I haven't found a single way to say I can pattern the elk. We have 9-12 cameras spread across a decent size area and I look for the greatest use at any 2-3 spots for the month of August and decide based on that info where to sit the first 1-3 days. After day 3 all bets are off. We then try and guess where to be based on past years observances of where animals go once pressure is in the woods during the hunting season. I have a spread sheet that I started last year that is tracking every day the cameras are out and what came in and such. Hoping over the next 2-3 years we might see something of value, probably not but it's fun to track.

End of day, so many variables, it's rarely the same from one year to the next. I think that's why i love it though, the challenge of trying to connect.
stringunner

Re: Patterning Elk

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Stringunner: We know that the elk pretty much leave our hunting area by the first of the hunting season. There are a few stragglers that have not left for the ranch and we try to get one right away. Still you do not just strap your cameras to any tree in the forest. You do not stay in camp on opening day. You have some elk including one excellent trophy bull I observed. So what do you look for? Why did you not just hang a stand along the road you walked in from?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics