Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First time tree stand hunt coming up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First time tree stand hunt coming up

Postby 82ndreddevil » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

This will be my first time bowhunting mule deer from a tree stand. So running scenarios thru my head I see a lot of times where shooting down at a deer the the scapula will be in the way. Is this shot a no go like for elk? My bow is at 70 pounds with 510 grain arrows. Thoughts?
82ndreddevil

Re: First time tree stand hunt coming up

Postby stringunner » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Shoot it like you would an elk from a stand, definitely avoid shoulder bones. Think exit hole, if the angle is steep shoot high with the exit hole coming out off side no more than about 1/3 up from bottom of belly or lower, as an example.

I like my stands set back from the target area to make for a 20-30 yard shot. Get 20+ feet up in the tree to avoid scent problems and you can get away with more movement.

This also makes the shot angle less steep.

My dad and I have taken several mule deer from a tree and do no different than we do on elk, including where to aim.

Just some thoughts...
stringunner

Re: First time tree stand hunt coming up

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Hold high like Stringunner wrote and just a little behind the front leg on a broadside critter. If it is quartering away aim at the off side front leg. Remember, the kill zone on an animal is just as large shooting from up in a tree as it is when you are on the ground.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics