Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where?

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Today I was out with my son looking at tree stand situations. Last week it was WapitiTalk 1 and Lamrith and I looking at select spots. Consistently the biggest question we have is which tree best meets our need? Frankly, I don't think I have ever found the perfect tree even though I know a few came close. It seems there are always trade offs. So what are you looking for when you find an excellent location to have a stand?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Where?

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Simular to layout hunting for geese,...only way different :lol:
I dont want to be facing the sun, And I want to be in the shadows, A solid tree with canopy above me .
I am thinking of changing my bear hunting location because one location has better trees
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lamrith » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Great info Swede! I know I learned quite a bit about that very subject when we were out last week. I had a few in mind before we got there, but hearing and seeing you discuss each one once we got there was huge.

Sun angles, TREE angles, shot angles, wind, how animals will enter and leave the area, how he hunter will enter/leave the area so they do not disrupt the area...
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I am used to having two or more viable options for access. Where Lamrith and I will be hunting in Idaho, there were no options that I saw. The stands we plan to hunt have only one real line of access. The trees we chose to put our stands in were more of a choice. I guess we can choose the time we go in, to help avoid the down draft problem. But if we avoid the thermal problem we are not tree stand hunting. Lets go hunting Lamrith. RJ can go beat the brush.
Swede

Postby OregonTK » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WIND. I want my tree to be downwind at the optimum time when elk activity in the area is at it's peak. I've been able to compensate for other factors so far, such as lack of cover in the background and not as many shooting lanes as I like.
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Postby lamrith » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I am used to having two or more viable options for access. Where Lamrith and I will be hunting in Idaho, there were no options that I saw. The stands we plan to hunt have only one real line of access. The trees we chose to put our stands in were more of a choice. I guess we can choose the time we go in, to help avoid the down draft problem. But if we avoid the thermal problem we are not tree stand hunting. Lets go hunting Lamrith. RJ can go beat the brush.

You got it Swede! The closer stand we can loop 20yrds around so not have to cross right thru the primary open spot and wallow area. that farther one though, not really much that can be done there, maybe stay higher in the opening.

That said we get in there like we are planning earlier in the day and ground scent should not be an issue..?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Grousewit » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Are elk like whitetails-when they come to where u crossed trail they will take off in reverse or go on high alert at the least?
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Grousewit » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Do u use rubber boots or cover scent on your boots?
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Swede » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Grousewit wrote:Are elk like whitetails-when they come to where u crossed trail they will take off in reverse or go on high alert at the least?

I can't dispute other people's experience on this, but I have never found that statement to be true. I have had elk and deer follow me down a trail. I don't think they were deliberately following, but I could see them following the same trail I was. I was only about 50 yards ahead. One time I had a doe follow me for a ways. She had her nose in the air sniffing. I had some skunk scent in a container and I think she caught that scent instead of smelling me. I say that as I believe she would not have continued to follow if she smelled me directly. I have had them come around my tree stand shortly after I arrived and they were calm as could be. I search my memory in vane to remember a time when an elk, bear or Mule deer bolted at crossing my trail. It is totally different when they smell you.
Swede