Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hang on stand for a beginner

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hang on stand for a beginner

Postby Roosiebull » 10 30, 2017 •  [Post 1]

a few months ago Swede crushed my good idea of a climber with his knowledge on the subject....now i'm thinking about stands again.

what are good stand/sticks combo or combos for a beginner who wants to be as mobile as possible? i'm picturing climbing sticks being the easiest to deal with. what will I need in addition after I buy sticks and a stand? I would like to get 15ft up at least if that matters.

i'm assuming I will need a harness, I would like it to be as cheap as possible, but completely know and understand that quality and functionality comes at a price. I guess a better way to word it is, I don't need the greatest luxury gear, but I want a safe, user friendly system that will stay that way through some use.

lightweight and easy setup I would guess cost money, but that is the type of luxuries I want to spend on.

disclaimer: any advice given to me could lead to several more questions, many of them have likely been asked before, so advise at your own risk :D
Roosiebull

Re: hang on stand for a beginner

Postby Tigger » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am neither an expert nor a beginner, but somewhere in the middle. I have been using a hang on for whitetails for 15 plus years. First, whatever you get, check it over very good. You literally are betting your life on every weld and crimp. Many hangons have a cable on each side to hold the platform. I go to the hardware store and buy the stuff to double each of them. Cheap insurance. I also use an extra ratcheting strap to hold it to the tree. This also makes it much quieter. Not a cinch strap, but a good ratcheting strap that you can really suck the stand tight with. That really minimizes squeaks.

Buy one of those tether ropes that you can strap your harness to while standing on the ground and then move it up as you climb the tree. This results in you always have a safety strap attached from the minute you leave the ground (after the initial setup anyway).

Use a linemans belt to put the stand up. It makes it way easier and safer.

Pay a LOT of attention to which way it faces. ask my how I know??? I spend hours trying to decide the best way to face and I switched this year for the first time on my main tree in a long time. A little nervous on that.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Tigger says he is no expert, but he is spot on with his post. What I think about stands reflects my style of hunting. I sit 10-13+ hours a day in my stand. I have put in over 30 days per season in a stand. I don't want anything less that very comfortable. My thoughts reflect my usage. If I was only going to sit an hour or two in an evening once in awhile, I might go cheaper, less comfortable than I do, but wouldn't sacrifice safety.
I have hung and used climbing sticks. They are very good and I have no issue with them. I just have never bought any. I either make a pole ladder or go all the way up on screw in steps. I prefer the lighter screw in steps than screw in ones as they are easier to use and carry. One of the big reasons I prefer the Millennium M100(U) is the ease and safety setting it up. I only need to carry a light weight hanger up the tree with me at first. After the hanger is in place, the stand is pulled up on a line. The hanger only weighs about two pounds and is not unwieldy to handle. It is safer and easier to hang a Millennium than a 7-15 pound chair with a protracted base.
Another thing to consider is the base of a stand. If you stand to shoot, and I do, it should be large enough to allow you to position yourself for your shot opportunity. Sometimes critters come into and from unexpected angles. Sometimes they hang up or will pass by at an angle that requires the shooter to stand and reposition. You may want to step a little way out from the tree trunk. You will want a good steady, quiet stand when that occurs.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Tigger wrote:Buy one of those tether ropes that you can strap your harness to while standing on the ground and then move it up as you climb the tree. This results in you always have a safety strap attached from the minute you leave the ground (after the initial setup anyway).

Use a linemans belt to put the stand up. It makes it way easier and safer.

Pay a LOT of attention to which way it faces. ask my how I know??? I spend hours trying to decide the best way to face and I switched this year for the first time on my main tree in a long time. A little nervous on that.

Brand new stand hunter here, I was blessed to have Swede as a personal assistant and instructor on all things Tree stand this year. As Swede said Tigger really hit the nail on the head with his post based on what I learned this season.

For a stand, after spending 11 days in a stand, I can whole heartedly recommend going with a Millenium M100 as Swede has recommended in the past. Current model is the M100U, I bought mine based on his recommendation and knowing we would be in the same hunt camp this year that we could put a few stand mounts up and swap and trade off locations all season. GLAD I DID. This stand is incredibley comfortable, seriously, I always thought Swede was joking about sleeping, but it is so stable and comfortable I actually cat napped on my very 1st day ever in a tree stand. Was I nervous, yeah, but just because my mind was saying "hey idiot you are sleeping up in a tree, ur gonna fall out!"

If you buy one new, you will get a box with pretty much everything you need to safely tree stand hunt. Mine came with stand and tree mount, plus a 35ft fall line with prusik knot and a basic safety harness. I bought mine from Amazon, had it in my wish list and would check it every few days and when I saw a dip in price I grabbed it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2 ... UTF8&psc=1

Safetyline. Def look up HSS if you do not buy an M100 like I did. They make a bunch of items to keep us tree humpers, I mean hugger, I mean hunters safe. Key item as mentioned is the safety line. They make a 35ft line with a Prusik knot already on it as mentioned above. That 35ft fall line is awesome, being able to snap in on the ground and then slide the knot up as you climb is very very re-assuring. I was a monkey in my youth, but old age has me less confident in my abilities, plus my svelte frame taxes many branches constitution so I stay locked in when I was climibg in and out of the stand. Plus it is a heavy rope, so I would tie my pack to the bottom of it so I could climb up and not have pack pulling me back or catching on things. Once I was in stand, pulled up my bow that was on normal drop rope and got it setup, then I could just use the fall line as a drop rope and lift bag up.
Here is a fancy version of the fall line if you go with another stand and need to buy one. The one in the M100u stand does not have the covers and only includes one knot.
https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-Sy ... tem+prusik

Harness - The std harness with the M100U is super cheap, no frills, looks like you are wearing a seatbelt out of a car. I opted to get a nicer harness and went with te one below. Very comfy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IY ... UTF8&psc=1

For sticks/climbing. Swede showed us how to make ladders in the field on the fly. Then we also had screw in steps. Depending on the step they can have weight to them, but they are very compact so it is easy to carry quite a few and they can be used to hang your pack, or bow on as well. We also made use of existing, thick, healthy branches everywhere possible. The stand I spent most of my time in used a combination of all 3 listed to get the 35ft up from ground where our stand was at.

In terms of general tips for new stand hunters from a fellow newby:
  • You will get cold. Even on 65-70* days unless you are in the sun (FYI - you do not want to be out in the sun in your stand location as then you are exposed and game will see every twitch you make) you will get cold, it can even set-in within an hour of sitting down. Bring clothing layers you can add as needed and gloves. If you can get gloves you can shoot your weapon in, better yet.
  • Practice shooting your weapon in different positions. Setup your stand at home and get an idea of height from seat to platform and find something very close to sit on and practice shooting from. Make note of how you need to position your legs to draw and clear it if you are shooting a bow.
  • Practice shooting from elevated location. If you can set up your stand and actually shoot from it all the better! You need to be mindful of how being elevated affects your shot angle and how to account for that plus distance from target. Note how you have to position yourself to shoot at a target and keep in mind when mounting your stand so you have room to get into position for a good shot. If you are shooting a bow, you will want the stand to be shifted right of center if you are right handed or left of center if you shoot goofy, I mean left handed. In video below the stand is actually pointed almost toward the dark branch hanging down on the right side, and I am shooting about 45* to the left of center. I am drawing with the bow between my legs while seated. Having the stand shifted right meant I had room for my right arm to be off the side of the tree as I drew and not hitting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTXlGXy3Zk
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Roosiebull » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

thanks guys! the m100u seems like a good choice.

lots of great info, and very appreciated.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Roosie: My conscience is starting to bother me real bad now, after thinking about what we have talked you into. Just to think, we may be in some small way responsible for you getting an M100U. It is not that the stand is not great. It is, but I am afraid you will relax in it and dose off when that big bull or buck comes in. The only way I know how I can save face now is to offer to trade you. I have some seasoned stands here that you definitely will never fall asleep in. Your butt may fall asleep, and you may wet your pants when you stand up because a solid bar was pressing across your urethra for over an hour. You may feel some pain while sitting. But you will be fully awake when old mossy horn comes in. :D
Swede

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Yep, what Swede, Lamrith, and Tigger said!
Lamrith your rig is identical to mine . . . including using the Lifeline as a drop rope for your pack lol. Slap a 'biner on the end of it and you're in business. Also, with your pack attached it weights it, keeping the line taught, so you can slide the prusik up or down the line with one hand while you are climbing. You won't be disappointed with the M100 Roosie! It's ease of set-up can't be overstated. Though the receiver chain works better on trees with coarse bark like your firs and pines than it does with hardwoods like alders, etc. One of the trees I set up in is nice large red alder, but the receiver chain likes to slide down the thing cuz it doesn't bite into that light bark very well. I have to pull the chain tight as I can by hand, flip the receiver, and then rig it a little further with screw in steps in order to get it stabilized and even tighter. Probably one of the reasons I get so tired out setting it up lol. I know RJ had some climbing sticks that were real compactable for travel, Lone Wolf brand I think? I use screw in's and if it's a real short walk (rare) I have some of the non-folding, heavier variety of Ameristep climbing stick.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Washington, I would carry in an extra step so when so when you wrap your chain around an Alder or Aspen, it cannot slide down the tree at all. I have some T handle screws that would be real easy to screw in also, and they weigh almost nothing. If you don't have any T handle screws, they are easy to make if you weld.
Swede

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Washington, I would carry in an extra step so when so when you wrap your chain around an Alder or Aspen, it cannot slide down the tree at all. I have some T handle screws that would be real easy to screw in also, and they weigh almost nothing. If you don't have any T handle screws, they are easy to make if you weld.

Yep, that's exactly what I do! One step on each side of the tree actually and I even them up best I can. I seat the chain down in the notch created by the step. I screw it in as far as it will go. This also puts tension on the chain which tightens it up nicely. Didn't even need a back-up ratchet strap this year. Seems sound when I'm sitting in it. I don't weld, but no time like the present to learn a new skill! Wonder if the t handle screw would work better . . .
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 10]

The T handle won't work any better, but they are cheap and light. If you have extra steps, then they are fine too. Nails would work, but I don't like nails in a tree. They probably would be no problem unless they were left. I have had lag bolts break off in the tree. I doubt they are any real problem. The mills scan for metal in any log they take in, and cut it out if any is found.
Swede

Postby scubohuntr » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Voice of experience here-
    Don't buy a cheap treestand- EVER.
    Always use a climbing line.
    If the tree grew it, don't use it. Branches, bark, stumps, all fine when you're on the ground, but never put weight on anything you didn't install yourself.
    Get a good harness and WEAR IT. Belts kill.
    Make sure someone knows where you are (exactly- GPS coordinates) and exactly when you are coming out of the woods. Never miss a check-in call. Look into SPOT locators if you'll be out of cell coverage.
    Don't put anything "out of the way". If it's an awkward reach, move it.
I bought a cheap-ass hang-on stand in 2001. I took it bear hunting in northern Minnesota, and found a spot about 12 feet up a poplar tree. I had two brothers with me cutting shooting lanes, tweaking bait stations, and whatnot. I got my stand hung on the tree, placing all my screw-in steps under the platform so I wouldn't get gutted like a fish if I fell out. I pulled myself up on the stand so I could attach my safety harness, using a good grip on the trunk to pull myself over the edge and up. The bark came right off the tree. My really good traction boots did their job and didn't let my feet slip off the stand. I went down cartwheeling, and landed headfirst. I clearly remember starting to come back to consciousness and thinking, "this is really gonna suck".

I was right. Turns out I had broken both arms- crushed the end of the radius (Top TIp- if you're ever going to break your arms- don't do it like that), and three ribs. My youngest brother went for his truck, ten miles away by ATV. Before long he was headed into the woods with a fine disregard for things like paint and suspension. He got in to where I was, they got me loaded up and off we went to the hospital, a hundred miles or so away. I walked in and they didn't make more than a half-hearted effort to make me fill out paperwork, what with both hands pointing in new and unauthorized directions. Into surgery. I got external fixators on both arms- two screw posts in the first joint of each index finger, two more in each forearm, and a carbon fiber tension rod in between. They couldn't do anything with the ribs- I just had to gut it out and back up against a wall before I sneezed. I spent four days in the hospital until my wife could get there from two states away.

I came out none the worse for it, mostly. I have arthritis issues in my wrists and back now, and my wrists tend to let go without warning if I put weight on them. The only thing I didn't do wrong on my list was I had help at hand. I've always kind of wondered what a bear would have thought, coming into the bait with a semiconscious hunter on the ground fifty feet away. If I had been on my own, I would have had to find a way to pull-start an old Honda ATC-90 and drive it the ten miles to camp. I should have had a climbing line. I had a safety belt, and I had every intention of attaching it before I hunted out of the stand, but I never got the chance. I put my tree steps in an awkward position, ironically for safety. I bet my life on a tree. Surprisingly, one of the things I did right (although accidentally) was falling headfirst. I have since talked to guys who landed on their feet, broke both heels, and have never been right since. I haven't really hunted out of a stand since then. I'm not afraid to, I just don't trust any stand I could afford. I do have much more respect for gravity than I used to. I bought a good harness on the way home from the hospital.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Scubohuntr, I understand your reluctance to go back and get into a tree stand. I too was careless and ended up dropping 12 feet onto my head and shoulders. The Lord took good care of me and I had no broken parts. I too was out for over 1/2 hour. I was dizzy and sick for awhile, but was able to get back in and killed an elk the next day. The good thing is I learned to follow better safety practices. With a good safety harness and tether it is simple enough to stay attached to the tree from the time you leave the ground until to return. This includes the time you are up placing your stand in the tree. I am more careful. I suppose that fall taught me not to gamble with safety.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 13]

here is a tip from a Minnesota tree stand hunter on how to stay warm. Bring 2 of those 2" foam seat cushions. One for you feet and one to sit on. the one for your feet really helps. Also, if you get cold feet easily, wear gaiters. They really help.

Bring lots of clothes, but don't put them on until you get to your tree so you don't sweat on the way in. Bring disposably hand warmers. Wear a neck gaiter to keep you warm but also to hide your face.

For whitetails, I always get some doe urine and attach to a drag rag. I tie it to my boot and walk in. 40 yards from my stand, I dip a scent wick in the pee and hang it in a tree. Many, many, many deer have come in on my trail and stopped to smell the wick. Once in awhile a young buck will go the wrong way....and 15 minutes later he will come back to find the correct trail.

I said this already, but I will say it again because of how important it is. really really think about which way to face your stand. Sometimes it is obvious, but as Swede said, animals come from crazy directions. I see a lot of stands looking a good way, but it is very difficult to shoot some of the places because of hand dominance. If you really want to help yourself out, learn how to shoot left handed (or non-dominant handed for you goofy leftists). At least for 50 yards and in, a person would be better off shooting left handed than turning around. I turned around once on a 5X6 147" whitetail one time and got away with it. After that, I realized it was really stupid to try and do that.

How you approach your stand is critical. PUt some thought into that.

It would be nice if someone would write a book on tree stand hunting for elk......wait.....this is a hanging curveball.....
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 14]

scubohuntr wrote:Voice of experience here-
    Don't buy a cheap treestand- EVER.
    Always use a climbing line.
    If the tree grew it, don't use it. Branches, bark, stumps, all fine when you're on the ground, but never put weight on anything you didn't install yourself.
    Get a good harness and WEAR IT. Belts kill.
    Make sure someone knows where you are (exactly- GPS coordinates) and exactly when you are coming out of the woods. Never miss a check-in call. Look into SPOT locators if you'll be out of cell coverage.
    Don't put anything "out of the way". If it's an awkward reach, move it.
I bought a cheap-ass hang-on stand in 2001. I took it bear hunting in northern Minnesota, and found a spot about 12 feet up a poplar tree. I had two brothers with me cutting shooting lanes, tweaking bait stations, and whatnot. I got my stand hung on the tree, placing all my screw-in steps under the platform so I wouldn't get gutted like a fish if I fell out. I pulled myself up on the stand so I could attach my safety harness, using a good grip on the trunk to pull myself over the edge and up. The bark came right off the tree. My really good traction boots did their job and didn't let my feet slip off the stand. I went down cartwheeling, and landed headfirst. I clearly remember starting to come back to consciousness and thinking, "this is really gonna suck".

I was right. Turns out I had broken both arms- crushed the end of the radius (Top TIp- if you're ever going to break your arms- don't do it like that), and three ribs. My youngest brother went for his truck, ten miles away by ATV. Before long he was headed into the woods with a fine disregard for things like paint and suspension. He got in to where I was, they got me loaded up and off we went to the hospital, a hundred miles or so away. I walked in and they didn't make more than a half-hearted effort to make me fill out paperwork, what with both hands pointing in new and unauthorized directions. Into surgery. I got external fixators on both arms- two screw posts in the first joint of each index finger, two more in each forearm, and a carbon fiber tension rod in between. They couldn't do anything with the ribs- I just had to gut it out and back up against a wall before I sneezed. I spent four days in the hospital until my wife could get there from two states away.

I came out none the worse for it, mostly. I have arthritis issues in my wrists and back now, and my wrists tend to let go without warning if I put weight on them. The only thing I didn't do wrong on my list was I had help at hand. I've always kind of wondered what a bear would have thought, coming into the bait with a semiconscious hunter on the ground fifty feet away. If I had been on my own, I would have had to find a way to pull-start an old Honda ATC-90 and drive it the ten miles to camp. I should have had a climbing line. I had a safety belt, and I had every intention of attaching it before I hunted out of the stand, but I never got the chance. I put my tree steps in an awkward position, ironically for safety. I bet my life on a tree. Surprisingly, one of the things I did right (although accidentally) was falling headfirst. I have since talked to guys who landed on their feet, broke both heels, and have never been right since. I haven't really hunted out of a stand since then. I'm not afraid to, I just don't trust any stand I could afford. I do have much more respect for gravity than I used to. I bought a good harness on the way home from the hospital.

wow man! thank you for sharing that, i'm REALLY glad you are ok, sounds like it could have been much worse.

I have no intentions of buying a cheap stand, my post probably came off a little wrong when I mentioned not wanting to spend a lot of money. if I cannot afford doing it safely, i'm just not doing it. I was more saying I would like to keep it around 400 bucks if possible.

saving money on cheap stuff that could kill you is not my thing...and being reckless isn't either (not wearing a good harness)

thanks again guys, lots of great info, and great things to think about.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Roosie, you can get everything you need for a safe comfortable tree stand for under $400. You are in the right price range. You should be able to get an extra hanger and enough steps to rig two trees for about $400.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 05, 2017 •  [Post 16]

sticks or steps?

I would have thought sticks would be the way to go, but it sounds steps are a good option?

Swede, I like the idea of a spare hanger and steps rigged, I think that would cover my needs during any season. for elk, I will be doing a lot of scouting to settle on a location, from there, it would be 2 stands for different wind, but the same general spot (the one I mentioned to you a while back)

I could really use a stand for calling lions, and this would be nice to have 2 very separate stand locations, wind doesn't matter much with cats, but getting movement off the ground, and having an elevated view could be a HUGE asset.

blacktail...haven't put much thought into it, but I have a feeling if my mind was on it, I could figure out a couple sets that would be VERY beneficial, if nothing else, it would be fun to find a spot to hang a stand, and get a buck to walk by it.

thanks again for the great feedback!
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2017 •  [Post 17]

One thing I like about steps is that I can take out 3 or four and hide them somewhere nearby and leave my stand up. Then I get back most likely my stand is still there and no one is sitting in it. You will never eliminate all risks, but it keeps all but the most determined jerks away. It is harder to take out just some parts of a ladder and hide it. If you have a safety line you may need to hang it up a ways before you remove the steps.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 05, 2017 •  [Post 18]

very good tip, that makes perfect sense. I guess I really didn't think about the theft aspect, but there are no "secret" spots, and a percentage of society is unsavory.
Roosiebull

Postby stringunner » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 19]

I can’t add much. This is a great thread and full of good info.

When we started sharing a camp with Swede a couple years ago, we had cheap hang on stands, it only took me 15 minutes in one of Swedes M100U before I fell asleep in comfort. My dad did the same. We have since sold our old ones and have 6 M100u stands between the two of us. They have an excellent warranty to, this year I had a new stand get a small tear in the seat where it is stitched. It was questionable whether or not it was a defect or I caught it on a tree limb putting it up. I decided to send a picture of it to the manufacturers, they sent me a brand new seat.

Get more than one bracket, that way you can have multiple spots without having to actually hang multiple stands.
stringunner

Postby olympushunt » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 20]

stringunner wrote: We have since sold our old ones and have 6 M100u stands between the two of us. They have an excellent warranty to, this year I had a new stand get a small tear in the seat where it is stitched. It was questionable whether or not it was a defect or I caught it on a tree limb putting it up. I decided to send a picture of it to the manufacturers, they sent me a brand new seat.

Hey Jer, maybe I will send them a pic of a defective frame, you send them another pic of a defective seat and Swede can send them a pic of a defective bracket. If we do that every six months we should be able to put up more stands! lol
olympushunt

Postby stringunner » 12 02, 2017 •  [Post 21]

olympushunt wrote:
stringunner wrote: We have since sold our old ones and have 6 M100u stands between the two of us. They have an excellent warranty to, this year I had a new stand get a small tear in the seat where it is stitched. It was questionable whether or not it was a defect or I caught it on a tree limb putting it up. I decided to send a picture of it to the manufacturers, they sent me a brand new seat.

Hey Jer, maybe I will send them a pic of a defective frame, you send them another pic of a defective seat and Swede can send them a pic of a defective bracket. If we do that every six months we should be able to put up more stands! lol

Good plan. Interestingly, it seems like the years we hang many stands and have several options we only need one. So maybe the key to success is hanging more stands! Knowing we will only need one!

Seriously though, I think I found my max this year, 11 cams and and 10 trees was a ton of work all through the summer and then the week it took to get them all down. Next year will have some cams and trees prepped where hopefully there are only elk and no naked hippies! I got to show you those spots!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I knew the wildlife situation was deteriorating over there, but "naked hippies"? I can only hope we don't start getting wolves on the cameras. Maybe you just photographed a young sasquatch. :D
Swede