Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Keeping Others Away

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Keeping Others Away

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Tree stand hunters generally park and hike into their stand the same way every day. It makes sense. You want to avoid spooking game in your hunting area. That best ingress and egress does not change, so we can be patterned better than the game we are after. Hunters that park at the same place and follow the same trail, are almost certainly hunting a stand. So how do you keep others from following you to your tree stand locations, so they can determine what you have? If they like what they see, maybe you will find them there when you return the next day. Maybe they will have a nice stand and you need to purchase a new one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Keeping Others Away

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 08, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I hunt close to where I camp. Camp is a half-mile away from my stand location and I am up at 4:15am and hiking there and climbing in between 5:15 and 5:30, obviously when it's still dark. Very easy to monitor others. There are no other headlamps behind me usually. I suppose the times I call in hunters and give away my spot, is my own fault. Swede, I know your position on calling from stands. But if you’re going to do it and it is in a high pressure area, its best to keep calling to a minimum if at all, until the pressure subsides. I tend to stay quiet until Monday or Tuesday after opening day, which falls on a Saturday. I let all the weekend buglers do it for me lol. Even then, you are going to inevitably get people going through your set-up. And they’re sometimes going to see what you have. And sometimes not. I’ve had people walk by me in my stand, and not even notice I’m there. You hope it is the ethical variety of hunter in those instances. These are usually, the only light measures I’m able to take. It’s tough when you hunt an area that is a through-fare for both people and elk.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN