Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cooking In Your Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cooking In Your Stand

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am planning to make a shelf to set my little pack stove on. That way I can heat up some food I usually eat cold. I think it should be helpful on cold days. Has anyone here tried such a stunt? I am a little concerned about scent, but will it be adding more than my body already sends out?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Cooking In Your Stand

Postby stringunner » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I would contribute to this thread but I’m pretty dogmatic about not cooking while in my treestand. :lol:
stringunner

Postby stringunner » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Ok back to this. I’m having a hard time knowing if this is a real serious idea coming from your interesting and complex brain Swede :D :lol:

My thoughts though, given the fire danger we hunt in during the last week of August, I’m thinking whatever kind of platform you might dream up to rest your burner and cookware on, it should be like a full containment rest, making sure the burner cannot fall off to the ground. I would hate to see you go up in smoke along with your new bow and Cadillac pack.

As far as scent goes, I can’t imagine it would matter depending on what you made,if you cooked bacon however you might get yogi to come quicker, though you have taught us all already about the best bear defense while in stand.

I will say I’m intrigued by the idea. Having a warm hotdog or cup of soup on some of the colder days on stand might be a nice option!
stringunner

Postby Lefty » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

up wind side of the blind id the kitchen, downwind side of the tree stand is the bathroom :oops:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Yep warm up soup and the grand daughter roasts marshmellows
In the goose blind. I did eat and do eat in the bear blind and when I hunted out of the box blind for elk,.. but no cooking
If I was up high enough or had one of those oversized out house style blinds maybe
5817.jpeg

5817.jpeg
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

My brother decided to cook a Mountain House meal during the opening day of deer season. He was in a portable stand in a tree. He texted me a picture at noon of his Mountain House package laying in the snow at the bottom of the tree. Man, that was funny. He texted back that he brought two, so he just cooked the other one and said it worked great. He saw 53 deer that day and it is inside a woods....furthest deer was maybe 100 yards from him.
Tigger

Postby stringunner » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Come on Swede time to circle back to this one and fill us in on your plans to cook from your tree stand. What are you thinking up?
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I was just thinking it would be great to have something hot to eat in my stand on some of those later season cold days. I am thinking about having something good to eat. Most of those canned meals are not good at all. Maybe I am picky, and Mountain House is ok, but if given a choice, I want to hear about the other option. I am thinking about a small piece of plywood on a steel shelf frame as a cooking platform. I am not planning on some gourmet meal; just something hot like soup or stew to go with a sandwich.
I have located one of my kid's old sleeping bags down in the basement in a box. Probably Oly's when he was 8 or 9 years old. I want to take it to my stand on cold days and climb in. It is barely long enough to go up to my chin. I think it will work fine to keep me warm and it will drop down around my feet if I let it go when I stand up to shoot. I could just pull it down some and remain seated, if that would work better. The whole plan it to be warm and comfortable on those late September hunting days.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I like the sleeping bag idea. I have looked at the those that they make specific for tree stand hunting for a while.

Thinking more about the cooking in a tree thing, another option might be just a thermos with hot water, and some dried meals where all is needed is hot water? Then you could also have a hot drink if wanted? Those new hydro flasks or yeti containers are suppose to keep things boiling hot for hours and hours?
stringunner

Postby Lefty » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 10]

stringunner wrote:,,,,,, a thermos ,,,,,,

I use to eat a lot of soup and Dinty Moore stew on the trapline. Just use a thermos with the large opening
Lefty

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 11]

The Thermos idea is good. In the past I have done as Lefty suggests. The soup/stew was good, but not hot for too long. The Yeti or some other quality container might be a better answer that cooking. I will look into it for sure.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:
stringunner wrote:,,,,,, a thermos ,,,,,,

I use to eat a lot of soup and Dinty Moore stew on the trapline. Just use a thermos with the large opening

Dinty moore... blech. Use homemade stew or chili. Man i made a big pot of cougar chili a couple weeks ago that was to die for.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I'm ok with Dinty Moore hot. Maybe Stringunner will bring me a hot lunch, with coffee, so I don't need to think anymore about cooking at my tree stand. :D
Swede

Postby ishy » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I've toyed with trying a little honey/bacon burn up in the stand during bear season. I just need to borrow a bigger stand for some more room, or just hang another stand to act as a stove top.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby stringunner » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Maybe we can hire a camp cook that will deliver to our stands mid day!

Or maybe I should get a drone to do the delivering. :roll:

I do like the idea of a hot meal in stand on colder days. I’m just toying with the idea of added weight, and the actual feasibility from in stand. A ground blind seems far easier to accomplish it, from a stand I’m still unsure. A ground blind you still have the weight issue. This year, weight became a factor for the hole I was in and the distance to the truck. I’m trying to shave weight, new pack, bought a havalon knife, trying to think about essentials and weight. Maybe I’m just hitting the middle aged spread and need to commit to more physical fitness. :shock:
stringunner

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 16]

stringunner wrote:Or maybe I should get a drone to do the delivering.

I like that idea. Which drone do we want for the food management? Should Oly or Tim make the deliveries? :lol:
Swede

Postby stringunner » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I’m fearful of over working ‘em. We need them work horses fresh to pack out our elk. :D
stringunner

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Shucks. I was just getting attached to the whole idea.
Swede

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Someone should start a drone delivery service, hot meals to the stand. Soup and half a sandwich?
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Where Stringunner and I hunt, you might do a business serving meals to tree stand hunters in the early archery season. The problem is that hot meals would not be as appealing as in the late season when most hunters have gone home. Rats! Your idea sounds good, but I do not know if you could make enough sales with bologna sandwiches during the first week of the season to make a go of it.
Swede

Postby six » 02 23, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I've boiled water for oatmeal in my pop up several times with a pocket rocket. Even oatmeal tastes good when your hunting.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool