Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shot Opportunities

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shot Opportunities

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

How many shot opportunities do you get in an average season? For me there is no "average season", but it is about two. If I pass on any mature elk (non calf) I may go home with my tag in my pocket. I would much rather have a rag horn or cow than tag soup for my mid winter dinner.
What are your opportunities like?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Shot Opportunities

Postby stringunner » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I don’t know really. I take the first one presented at any legal elk (minus a calf) and haven’t to date had to need another shot on an elk. Well once year I guess, I hit a spike opening day low, through the arm pit. Later that season I shot a 5 point so two that season. On deer it’s a different story. For what ever reason I tend to miss bucks multiple times a season. :lol:

I don’t want to make a habit of not taking opportunities just to count how many chances I might get. 8-)
stringunner

Postby ishy » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Haven't had many in a stand. The only elk I got was in a stand I had set for deer close to town that I could sit while on call at a hospital. I had a cow come in Labor Day morning. It was fun when my wife called that morning and I told her I was packing an elk, she knew I had lied about having to be on call and went hunting! The only time I had even heard of elk being in the area was in the winter. The main stand I've been sitting is very hit and miss. Pretty nomadic herds and I will rarely see the same bull more than once. I was pretty excited the first few years seeing all pictures of elk, but after looking at the amount of time there are elk there vs the amount of time there isn't anything there I'm not as committed as the first few years. North Idaho is tough due to the amount of water, cover, and food in every canyon coupled with low elk densities.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Hmmm Some years I have passed on a dozen or so spikes cows and calves A few years Ive had a herd or two of 20 or more stop and present an easy shot. One time a herd of 54 and a huge single bull, I was passing on the cows waiting on the bull. Passed on rags and small 6x6 waiting on the herd bull. Early on I had some big bulls when I was limiting myself to 27 yards and less. Wow what it would be to have some of those chances now that were under 40 yards.
Ive blown way too many shots including this year,. I didnt range the bull and sent the arrow too high. I once had a bull let me shot at him closer and closer each time. I kept using the wrong pin. Ive had shot opportunities after killing an elk or tracking an arrowed elk
I think a better way for me to answer the question
I pass on cows about every 3rd day of hunting, Ive passed on bulls under 40 yards every 4th day when in the desert, In the past Ive hunted 5-7 full days per season.
In the mountains Ive had fewer opportunities. Ive passed on spikes and small bulls waiting on a big bull
Last year it was all about getting my daughter a bull. a number of bulls were close but vegetation prevented shots I even had a cow at 18 but vegetation prevented the shot oppurtunity
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

It used to be that I would have at least a half dozen opportunities in a season if I was out much and did not fill my tag too soon. Has anyone else noticed a serious drop in their tree stand opportunities over the years?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics