Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Many Tree Stands?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Many Tree Stands?

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

How many tree stands do you have and what variety?

I have about 12 stands. I have two ladder stands, about 4 light weight hang on stands, and the others are comfortable hang on stands.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Many Tree Stands?

Postby wawhitey » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have 2 millenium m150s, and one big ol hurkin ladder stand. This spring ill be buying more m150s. Will have 6 of them hanging up by this summer. Found an area that is just so full of big bucks, i cant justify not spending the money. Need a whole mess of stands in that area, so i dont burn out just one, and i can have a choice of which stand to use, based on wind etc
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby stringunner » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

My dad and I each have 3 millinium M100u’s. That is all. We also have 5 each brackets for those stands. Combined we can run 10 trees with brackets and we usually have probably 8 of those up. We run 10-12 cameras each year.
stringunner

Postby ishy » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Just two, one strap on Gorilla I think? and a climber. Have a buddy with a garage full if I need to borrow one.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Ishy, I think an elk hunter can use about three stands reasonably if you are spending a lot of time hunting stands. I like an extra 4th for a lite pack in set up. In lieu of more stands you can get a Millennium M150 and an extra hanger. That will allow you to move and be more flexible. When I place stands before the season, I am never sure which spot is going to be the best. If one is not getting things done for me, I can move in a very short time and be hunting again in an hour or two at the most. This entails little disturbance to my new hunting area.
I have a couple of Gorilla stands. To be honest, they stay home, and I have never cared much for climbers. For a once or twice use of a tree they really have their merit. If you are going up a tree several times the advantage of a climber gets lost somewhere. Often they are quicker than rigging a tree with steps for infrequent use.
I do not know if this is information you wanted or can use, but the price is good. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Totally agree, I got the climber for $10 at a garage sale and the gorilla was just the cheapest I could find when I just wanted to try stands out. I think we got several for $40 a stand. I will probably do some earlier sitting this year if I draw Utah. That hunt starts the 18th of August and is done by the 14th of September so definitely earlier than what I am use to in Idaho.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L