Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are You A Tree Stand Elk Hunter?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Are You A Tree Stand Elk Hunter?

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

You are a tree stand elk hunter if that is what you think of when you plan your hunt. You a tree stand elk hunter if that is where you start your hunt and spend most of your hunting time. You are likely a tree stand elk hunter if you scout tree stand locations and place stands before you actually start hunting. Are you a tree stand elk hunter?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Are You A Tree Stand Elk Hunter?

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

No

But I have spent lot of times in ground blinds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrowTines » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have never used a tree stand for elk hunting, never found a location I would be confident enough in the elk being in the location to justify setting up a tree stand - too many variables push the elk around. ...Oh, that is not quite true. There was one instance, where I did setup a tree stand for elk. I had spotted the elk for a couple of days and noticed the elk going out of their way to frequent a salt lick first thing in the morning, close to the rancher's corrals. I set up my tree stand but the wind shifted just as the elk were coming in - that was actually a close call. I would think it would depend on a number of factors but generally I wouldn't consider it. I am sure if you were an area that didn't get a lot of other hunting pressure and you could pattern the elk then it would be another matter.
BrowTines

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 4]

If you know what you are doing, tree stand hunting elk is very effective. Just know there are some things to do, and some things not to do. Just hanging a stand is not all there is to it. I have seen some very good set ups and some poor ones. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics