Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree For A Tree Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree For A Tree Stand

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Help me out tree stand hunters. What are the attributes of a good tree for your elk tree stand? What do you look for?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree For A Tree Stand

Postby stringunner » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

For me, about 25-30 yards from the water or trail. Big enough that it still has some girth about 25-30 feet up so I don’t feel like I’m strapped to a tooth pick. But not so round that you can’t get your treestand bracket or strap around it. Needs to be a live tree, Swede scolds you when you sit in a dead one. I like a tree that will put me in the sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon... shade all the time would be nice but if I have to choose I want the sun in the morning for warmth. A tree that will give good cover especially if elk are approaching from above. Pine or fir is what I generally sit in.

Also make sure when the wind is howling it’s a sturdy tree, a couple years ago I was in a tree and a terrible wind storm came up, I looked down and saw the roots of the tree moving from under the ground. I got down and changed trees.
stringunner

Postby stringunner » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Oh and one preferably that doesn’t have a wooden ladder leaning next to it, if you find one with a old wooden ladder, get ready to meet the infamous Swede!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I like live pine or Douglas-fir tree with no pitch showing.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 05 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Found the perfect tree for my "a" stand this year. Plenty of back cover, straight, right size, over a trail at a creek crossing... just feels perfect. Going to set the stand up this coming week. Just ordered a third millennium m150 too, and ill be ordering 2 more this summer. Gonna have 5 of those suckers up this year.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

That is a good tree Whitey. I never put more than one stand in mine, but I have known of hunters that bring along a kid so they have two. :D At any rate those M150s are great.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Got my "A" stand hung today. "B" is already up, and "C" should arrive via ups tomorrow. When i chose that location for my stand a few weeks ago, i hung a cam on the tree. The deer are crossing the creek right in front of my stand, regularly. I knew they would be, i could see the banks beat down with tracks in the mud right there, but getting camera confirmation is always nice.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey