Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Location Help

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Location Help

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Often I write and speak of scouting for good tree stand locations, and over time that has been the most productive for me. Sometimes a good tip is even better. Last season RJ and Joe suggested I change locations. I had been about three weeks in one area and nothing. None of us could figure out why, but it was obviously a matter of some luck and there just were not a elk around there. One day RJ suggested I set up on another ridge. That proved out to be a productive move. Several times through the years I have been given some solid advise that made a difference. Sometimes you have to say "thanks", but move on.
If what you are doing is not working out, go see what is available. Maybe the suggested location is a jewel. The determining factor is the evidence you see on the ground. RJ's and Joe's spot were perfect. Earlier I tried a location that Joe recommended, but it did not work out. At that spot we were going on the history of the area and some bugling we heard in the area, but the elk were just not there long.
Most likely you will not have a person tell you, this is a sure kill location. Still, if what is happening is not working, go see what they have to show you. Just share an elk dinner with your friend when you get something.
To be fair, every place I hunted in Idaho was where RJ and Joe suggested. It was their knowledge or the area that got me started. The scouting we did was just enough to get an overview of the area ant to confirm the better spots for stands. The point is, good advise can be golden.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Location Help

Postby Lefty » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Swede wrote:,....The point is, good advise can be golden.

Sometimes we are stuck in our own thinking.

My wife stated for years that mule deer and elk would not be in the "rocks". Shortly after we were married I discovered her dads theory was such because they hunted from a jeep ( when it was legal to drive anywhere on public land).
I started hunting the west like I hunted Minnesota white-tails, those methods limited my hunting for years.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H