Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

North or West

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

North or West

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have tree stands on ridges, near the bottom of a deep canyon, and about everything in between. I have them on flats and north, south, east and west facing slopes. Where I have hunted these things don't seem to matter. Elk travel and feed where it works best for them regardless of what people write about their habits. Have any of you tree stand hunters found anything different?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: North or West

Postby stringunner » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I hang my stands and sit where the elk are. Makes no difference which side of the mountain or hill or how far up or down the canyon side.

Last year I shot a bull and had many elk around me middle of the day in the bottom of an canyon on a se facing slope. Most...most of what I read says the elk would not be there. Scouting said otherwise so I sat there and tagged out first day....then Swede and friends packed it out for me. :D
stringunner

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

stringunner wrote:then Swede and friends packed it out for me.

I think I packed out a hamburger and loin. I think there was enough real meat there for two Big Macs, as they are so lean, and don't shrink on the grill. Stringunner's dad is the Packer. I tried to carry his pack a few yards, and gave up. I could not handle it. I took back my hamburger and felt rather smug about it. At least they did not have to carry me out. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I guess I toss most of "the elk bed on the north slopes" right out the window. The vast majority of where we hunt slopes south.
I may need to blind or tree stand hunt some his year.
The wind is my determinating factor in the wood how we hunt.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby OregonTK » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

My favorite stand is facing the east. I hunt it in the evening and the sun drops behind the ridge around 4-4:30 and causes the air to generally go downhill consistently till it's too dark to shoot. My trailcams show that most bull activity is from 5pm to 7pm. I usually get in this stand 1:30 to 2:30 and it's shady, but between 3:15 and 3:30 the sun hits my stand and it can be brutal!
If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK