Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Setting Out Your Stands

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Setting Out Your Stands

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I will have to wait until right before the season to set out my stands. I plan to bring three or four and put them in place during the week before the season opener. If they go our too early, I am afraid they will be gone when I get there. Also they get pitchy and the fabric deteriorates over time.
When do you tree stand hunters set your stands out?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Setting Out Your Stands

Postby wawhitey » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I set up a new one about a week ago, set one in may, going to set another here in the next few days, and have one i set up may or june of last year thats still up. Been picking out several more likely stand sites and hanging cameras at them, but those are potential spots for next year. Wont even have time to check the cams until after season.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

So despite getting drunk last night, i snapped wide awake at midnight, thinking about a new stand location i scouted out july 30th, and the new treestand sitting in a box in my basement. Couldnt get back to sleep. So 2am i assemble my new stand and drive 50 miles to set it up. Crazy, right? Well, when i picked out the spot 6 days ago, i hung a tcam in the tree right next to the one i wanted to put my stand in. So today while i was hanging my new stand, i decided to check my cam, even though its been up less than a week. And ill be damned, biggest whitetail buck ive ever gotten pics of showed up broad daylight less than 24 hours after i set my camera. I have a real good feeling about this. The spot just seems perfect in every way. Ill post pics if i get him.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

We will look forward to seeing this new buck on the ground. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

So today i took my dad up to where i got that giant buck on camera. Not to go disturb the area, but to drive a mile past it, get up high on the mountain, and glass. That camera / treestand is less than 200yrds from the logging road. Know what was standing right in the middle of the road, not 200 yards from my treestand / cam? A big ugly wolf. :evil:
wawhitey

Postby stringunner » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

After switching over to millinium stands, at Swedes recommendation which was right on for comfort and ease of hanging, we purchased extra brackets that the stands sit in. We will usually set up several brackets while scouting, not all so we can still set up spots at the last minute, but we will set brackets early then check spots the day or two before season and drop the stand in on opening morning as we go up to sit. It doesn’t take any extra time and we don’t have to leave our stands out in the weather or for risk of being stolen. It works well.
stringunner