Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I need a tree stand!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I need a tree stand!

Postby Lefty » 09 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I will be hunting in cottonwood river bottom in November and December for Idaho whitetail on public land. I think I will need to bring the stand in and out of the woods, more so I dont want others sitting in it.
I need to be comfortable for a 2 hour evening sits . I weigh in at 240 lbs
I will or can leave climbing sticks or pegs in the woods.

Im also on a budget,... What make model, brands and I know there are some less expensive places on line.
A little help
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I need a tree stand!

Postby Old school » 09 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Millennium M150 would be my recommendation. Most comfortable stand I've ever owned. It has an oversized platform for standing, and weighs in at under 20 lbs. They also come with a lifeline which is real nice. Right now you can buy them for about $225 at multiple online retailers.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby stringunner » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede, my dad, and I all sit in Millinium M100’s. My dad and I have the updated M100u. They are bit lighter in weight than the older version. As mentioned they also come with a 35ft safety line which is a heck of a nice rope. These stands are the most comfortable we have ever sat. My dad is pushing 275 and the stand is rock solid and quiet as a mouse. The receiver is one of the best things about the stand as well. Put your climbing sticks up or tree streps, set the safety rope, place the receiver and you can put your stand up and take it down in less than 30 seconds each morning and evening if you are willing/able to leave the rest in the tree. No trying to fiddle with ratchet straps in the dark, etc. check them out. Amazon has them for $180 prime.
stringunner

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I haven't bought a stand yet.
. after this week I maay want to get it fr elk season. Sitting seems so much easier than hiking the mountains all day.
A lot of trail cam pics with 3:00 PM cow elk.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I have tried a lot of different tree stands, including another one this season, owned by another member of our party. I am sticking with the Millennium M100 or M150. They are both great stands and more affordable than the initial price might indicate. Just get an extra hanger and you have nearly the equivalent of two. The M100 and M150 also have the benefit of being safer than others to hang and even use, they are super comfortable.
Those that know me are very aware I don't promote every product around. In fact I am rather stingy in my praise of just some perceived slight advantage. To me these stands are truly superior, and worth the cost.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I have tried a lot of different tree stands, including another one this season, owned by another member of our party. I am sticking with the Millennium M100 or M150. They are both great stands and more affordable than the initial price might indicate. Just get an extra hanger and you have nearly the equivalent of two. The M100 and M150 also have the benefit of being safer than others to hang and even use, they are super comfortable.
Those that know me are very aware I don't promote every product around. In fact I am rather stingy in my praise of just some perceived slight advantage. To me these stands are truly superior, and worth the cost.

I will second this. I took his advice last year (came in handy as we hunted out of the same camp last year and traded stand locations, etc without issue since same stand)
I bought an M100U off Amazon. WOW COMFY! I will admit it was my 1st time way up a tree since childhood and while I am not scared of heights, I was pretty intimidated climbing up the 1st few times. (My stand location was on a slope that fell away an extra 15ft from where I started climbing) Even with that intimidation the stand was so comfortable I got settled in and actually fell asleep after a few hours of nothing moving. The stands are also nice and quiet, no chains for holding platform or seat up, so you can very quietly stand up and fold the seat up if you need to stand and stretch or shoot. Heck I shot my bear sitting down, just scooted up a hair in the seat and let er rip.

Buy an extra mount or two and you can setup multiple locations and just move the platform itself. We had a nice secluded area with no human traffic so left ours up each night which was awesome for gettign up and settled each morning.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I should clarify a point here. I recommended the M150. I was thinking of the M100U. I have never used an M150. They appear to be a great stand and are supposed to be just a little larger than the M100U, but I have not set one up or used one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede recommended the M150 to me and that's why I bought it a couple years ago. It is hands down the best stand that I have ever hunted out of. I'll gladly pay a little more money and have the stand weight a couple extra pounds for all the room the M150 has - it is crazy good.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lefty » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 9]

thanks guys
Lefty