Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Cow Dropped A Bomb

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Cow Dropped A Bomb

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

You all know the discretion a cow uses when deciding where to relieve itself. My question is how much more do you use when deciding where to place your elk hunt tree stand? This past season I found where a person had placed two stands. I scratched my head and wondered why he chose those locations. Later I had the opportunity to talk with him some, and asked why he chose the places he did. In the ensuing conversation, I was informed that he had another stand. What I found out was this hunter took his stand with him when he was scouting. In every instance he packed it until he was tired, then sat down, took a rest and picked a nearby tree to hunt from.
Obviously he had little idea where or why he would decide on a location. He figured it was all just a matter of luck, and one location is as good as another. After all, elk roam around and can go almost anywhere must have been his reasoning.
So for you tree stand users; what criterion do you use when you pick a stand location?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Cow Dropped A Bomb

Postby stringunner » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Appearance of frequent elk use. Whether it be a well used trail indicative of heading specifically to or from a bedding/feeding/water location, a convergence of trails for the same aforementioned reasons, or a water hole.

There are many areas I know of that elk will wander through during the season, but to place a stand where I hope an elk will wander by with no apparent reason or frequency is just betting on chance. All hunting is betting on chance in some regard, but I’m going to focus on spots where that chance encounter can be more easily had.

Additionally, there are water holes and trails that look good in July but are of no value during September, so just finding a good trail, or water hole is not always the key either. Frequent use and fresh sign during the dates I plan to hunt is key. Cameras help in this regard, but when I enter a location I’m most delighted to see fresh sign long before I get to my placed stand or camera. I’m hopeful the fresh sign I see also ends up at the location of said stand location.

One thing I have learned in these past couple years, just because the spot or area looks “elky” or has all the right ingredients doesn’t mean they will be there come September. Fresh sign that looks like it has continual use over many days or with some level of frequency during the time period I’m going to be hunting, gets me excited to place a stand.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Another think I have observed over the years is that if there are any good locations in the region to place a stand, Stringunner knows all about it. That guy knows exactly where to be in archery elk season.

Years ago I watched a cartoon showing Foghorn Leghorn, the big cocky rooster, and costarring one very smart little chicken. Foghorn was going to show the little guy the ropes, but time after time the young chicken, wearing horn rimmed glasses was way ahead of him. And he wasn't even trying! That smart little chicken was like Stringunner. You know who was like Foghorn Leghorn. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

In a word: funnel. Although I don't hunt from a tree stand for elk hunting because I still have my man card and don't wear skinny jeans, if I had to, I would look for some feature that funnels the elk to a certain point. It can be that they want to go there like a trail or a water hole or they don't want to go somewhere like a rock slide or a cliff. But funnel them to some area.

:lol: :D :o
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger you are right about the funnel. Where I got my elk this year was between some bluffs and a main road. It was a funnel and a water hole. Perfect for a guy that has lost his man card and just wants to kill elk.

BTW: When I wear my pink shirt to church a lot of the ladies comment how much they like it. :D

Skinny Jeans Swede
Swede

Postby stringunner » 10 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Between Swede and Tigger’s post......I think I just got the label “little cock in skinny jeans!” :shock: :D :lol:

I’m good with that as I dine on elk tenderloin tonight! 8-)
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I am long past tying to prove my manhood. That is for boys. When I climb into my tree stand, it is for the purpose of killing elk. I am no longer trying to impress the ladies or anyone else for that matter. I shot a cow this year rather than even wait for a nearby herd bull that was in the brush. Just enjoy your elk steaks Stringunner. You did fine.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I too am beyond the point of proving manhood. I’m confident in who I am in Him.

I will say, since switching to tree stands exclusively in Oregon, I hunt harder, longer, and am far more worn out at the end of the hunt than any year I have run and gunned. It’s not as easy as just strolling into the woods and putting a stand up in the nearest tree. It takes far more work and effort to be successful than one might think. This isn’t a pat on the back by any means, I know guys who run and gun and put in a ton of effort, it’s just tree stand hunting elk is not as easy and therefore less manly than some make it out to be.

Swede’s book made a huge difference in our success rate. Especially in an area that holds few elk and is heavily hunted. I don’t and can’t take credit for any of it, but rather it was Swedes willingness to share his 20 years + of experience that allowed us to hit the ground....huh....trees with knowledge to be successful.

I can’t say I’ve ever worn skinny jeans, but if they will help in killing more elk, bring em on. I like to eat elk. :D
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I know quite a few hunters including some on this forum that would be bringing home a lot more elk and even other game if they were sitting in a well placed tree stand. The problem is they have to go somewhere if they hear a bull off yonder. They just can't get it in their head, that chasing elk is not the same as shooting elk. More elk sightings while on the ground is not filling a hunter's freezer.
Stringunner told us that he saw the bull he ultimately shot on an earlier day. He did not get out of his stand and chase it off. He sat still that whole day and killed it the next. I have had that happen and other similar situations many times. Usually I observe one herd go by either to come in later or to be followed by another herd or individual. Patience kills a lot more elk than a hot foot. Elk come around totally oblivious to a tree stand hunter's presence until it is too late.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:BTW: When I wear my pink shirt to church a lot of the ladies comment how much they like it. :D

A friend of mine had a shirt the ladies likes too.

I always figured its whats under the shirt that counts :lol: :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:,..... bringing home a lot more elk and even other game if they were sitting in a well placed tree stand.

Yeah I would fit in that category,.. but tree stand hunting ,.. lets just say time slows down
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Mostly, time does slow down when I am in a stand. I have experienced a few exceptions when nightfall is approaching, and I know elk are near. Twelve to thirteen hours in a day, in a stand, for the sixth day in a row is hard. Stringunner wrote it is not easy. It can be tiring and tiresome. You will likely see less big game from a tree stand than hiking around. It should be very rare that you spook or jump any animals.
To help, I read some, but the secret for me to stay in the stand, is my faith in the place I have my stand, and believing they will come. That faith is based on strong evidence (sign) I have found on the ground.
Swede

Postby Old school » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Here's my issue with hunting from a treestand for elk. Those of us who don't live in elk country only get a few precious days/maybe 2 weeks to be in the mountains every year. I feel more pressure to make it happen, so patiently sitting in a treestand drives me crazy. Whitetail hunting here in MO is different, I place stands with careful planning and knowledge knowing that sooner or later it will pay off. I may pick a spot in late winter due to seeing heavy travel corridors in the snow that weren't evident during the fall, or I may place them in mid summer due to feeding patterns. That just gets me close and is only the beginning...After hunting those stands and getting close to the action, I can fine tune the stand placement dependent upon where I see them traveling while I'm on the stand.

When I'm out west, I just don't have the luxury of all that time...and for me as a flatlander, I see lots of elk trails and wallows every year I'm hunting, but it's not like they get used daily. If I hung a stand and sat in it all day and didn't see anything, I'd be questioning my decisions and would regret not "covering ground" that day to locate elk.

I feel that Swede is correct though - if I made up my mind to find the proper location and just hang a stand and hunt for 10 days, I'd probably kill more elk.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 14]

The local Baptist pastor was out one Saturday morning for his daily walk. As he went down the sidewalk he started to pass by a yard sale, when he noticed they had a lawn mower for sale. Since he needed one, he decided to check it out. A teen boy saw him in the yard looking at it, and asked if he was interested? The pastor said he was, then asked, "does it run"? The teenager said it ran alright, but you have to cuss at it to get it to start. The boy went on to demonstrate and the mower ran fine. The pastor gave the lad the $20 he was asking for it, and left.
The next Saturday the teen was walking down the sidewalk and went past the parsonage where the minister was pulling on the starter cord, on the mower he had purchased. The boy walked up to him, and reminded the minister that he had to cuss the mower to get it to run. The Baptist said he could not do that. Besides he had forgotten even how to cuss. The boy replied, "just keep pulling on that starter rope and it will all come back to you."
I suspect it is the same thing, running all over the mountains trying to shoot elk you can't catch up to. :D
Swede

Postby Old school » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 15]

But it’s so much fun chasing them Swede. Actually am going to pack treestands this coming elk season for a change up. May run and gun a few days and then treestand hunt a few. Figure it will keep us fresher physically and mentally. I just need you to come along on a summer scouting trip to help me pick out the trees for the stands ;-)

-Mitch
Old school