Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ELK UNIT 46 NEW MEXICO

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ELK UNIT 46 NEW MEXICO

Postby 1CRAZYELK » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 1]

ANYBODY HAVE ANY INPUT ON ELK UNIT 46 IN NEW MEXICO. I HAVE AN OPPURTUNITY FOR SOME LANDOWNER TAGS. IM DEBATING ON ARCHERY HUNT OR RIFLE? NOT LOOKING FOR LOCATIONS AS IT IS ON PRIVATE RANCH JUST WANTING TO HERE SOMETHING ABOUT THE UNIT IF ANYONE HAS HUNTED IT LATELY??
1CRAZYELK

Re: ELK UNIT 46 NEW MEXICO

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 2]

1crazyelk, I have no information on New Mexico hunting, but welcome you to the forum. I hope you get some help. In the meantime feel free to join in the hunting discussions we have going on here or add your own.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 3]

What I saw incredible country, The fellow that taught me to shoot rifle and archery. lives in Las Vegas NM.I was down at Philmont Scout Reserve two years ago We saw a lot of elk in the lowlands, riverbottoms and open ranch ground.
I like to hunt. Do you need to chose your weapon on your tag. But I would be all about archery any bull is a trophy! 1 archery elk is worth more than 5 rifle elk to me.

Do the season run concurrent? What time frames you have to choose to hunt?! What type of terrain will you be hunting? Any pics of the ground? I really dont want to suggest Swedes methods ;) ,.. but early in the heat maybe sitting in a tree over water?

Hunting the pre-rut and rut is not like Late October or November. I dont know squat about archery mid October - November
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 1CRAZYELK » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Hi Swede thx for the welcome. I plan on trying join on discussions that are in my wheelhouse when ever I get a chance. Being new to the forum will take some getting used to. I’m fairly new to this computer shit as a whole. Looking forward to be a part of Wapiti talk. And hi to u lefty also, we are going with the archery on September 19-24. Hopefully the weather and elk will cooperate with us. We will be on private ranches and hunting with Canadian River Outfitters. We are really pumped up for a great experience. I’ve only elk hunted in Wyoming and Colorado. All with bow and as I’ve came real close on 3 occasions I’ve yet to get a shot. Buddies have killed but I haven’t scored yet!
1CRAZYELK

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

1CRAZYELK wrote:, Canadian River Outfitters. ,,
Checked out their web site. Their price seems very good for the expected size.
I think If I were you, add the cow elk too.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 04 27, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I know nothing about NM but those are great dates anywhere. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro