Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My Archery Season Report.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My Archery Season Report.

Postby under H2O hunter » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Spent 30 days hunting in Colorado again this year. We had a very strange season due to the rut being so late and not really going. I helped 3 young men and my girlfriend this season and every one had a great time and everyone was able to be close to some elk. My son and his buddy had the most action as they had several really close calls that they seemed to screw up with the exception of one time when I was able to call a nice 6x6 into 10 yards broadside from my son for his first bull. My son put a good shot into him and we recovered him fairly quickly. The pack out was brutal as it was deep in a steep hole. The three of us packed everything out in one trip but completely kicked our ass. My girlfriend and I had a really memorable afternoon one day when several bulls started talking to one another. We snuck in on a nice 5x5 that was laying in his wallo. He got up and started working his way to us but my girlfriend set up on the wrong side of several trees as I dropped back and started raking... The bull and a couple cows came around her and busted me raking. After they took off I called a 6 by ? into range but he never offered up a clean shot. He walked off and his cows stuck around but never came into range but offered up some time for me to get a couple photographs with my camera. I myself had several interesting days as I pretty much passed on rags and cows hoping to get a nice mature bull. In the end I ended up with tag soup but I have rifle season coming up here in a couple weeks with some other friends so I am sure I'll slap a tag on a fat cow. I was able to take a nice mature buck that was still in velvet. As a whole the season was very challenging mentally but it allowed me to discover some new territory as well as to meet some new hunters who I am looking forward to staying in touch with. Here are some victory pics.
ImageURL=http://s25.photobucket.com/user/scubadown/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160912_1441580_zpsiippjb0y.jpg.html]Image[/url]
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Re: My Archery Season Report.

Postby Indian Summer » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Congrats James! Overall it sounds like you had a good season to me. That's a really nice bull especially for a first! I'll take that one every season.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Great report. I enjoy reading about challenges, and setbacks as well as success stories.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby js80138 » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Congratualtions and thanks for sharing. Your first line really hit home with me. I didn't hunt nearly as often as I had planned. I am not upset at the fact I didn't get out more rather I realize that this year it took effort to harvest. I gave very little effort and got very little in return. Great photos BTW.
js80138

Postby JKaboom » 09 29, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations - thanks for sharing !!
JKaboom

Postby Ben Nicholson » 09 30, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Congratulations on your archery season. If you got to spend 30 days in the elk woods then you were successful in my book! Good luck filling your rifle tag.

-Ben
Ben Nicholson

Postby ishy » 09 30, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Way to go, and to have the family be a part of it I bet is priceless.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 01, 2016 •  [Post 8]

James, way to go bud! Great photos, thanks!

Good luck on the rifle hunt!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 01, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Very nice write up and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us. And yep, best of luck with your boomstick season.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ