Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bob Marshall Wilderness

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bob Marshall Wilderness

Postby VT Sasquatch » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Are any of you guys familiar with this area? I am considering an early rifle hunt here next year or the following year. I am drawn to it mostly because the rifle season starts in September and I have October commitments that make a later rifle hunt difficult.

From what I have gathered, no atvs are allowed so you need horses to get in deep. I expect that I'll need an outfitter and would prefer a drop camp (I like to do the hunting on my own). Can anyone recommend a drop camp outfitter?
VT Sasquatch

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 2]

All I know is that a lot of hunters come back disappointed. My neighbor came back with a small bull, but he reported he was the only one in a large camp to get anything. He was with an outfitter and has not gone back.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Timber » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I am not familiar with the Bob but have been told by a local guide, that has hunted it previously, that it is not near what it used to be. He told me it is beautiful in there but to not waste my time unless I was looking to fish or backpacking for the scenery. Sorry I can not help more.
Timber

Postby VT Sasquatch » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll see about the CO muzzleloader or first rifle season. I have 1 preference point so that might help a little with the muzzleloader tag in Unit 41. Can anyone tell me whether a non-resident can get a tag for the first rifle season in Colorado?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Old school » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I hunted the southern tip of the Bob Marshall a few years back - saw one bull the entire trip. Beautiful scenery, but we saw very little...

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 10 24, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Yep you'll want to pass on that area. Elk are scarce and grizzlies aren't. Great place for a family pack trip in the summer though.

Have you looked at the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness on the Idaho side? Same situation with a mid September gun season on the "A Tag". Numbers aren't too high but there are enough elk to hunt. No grizzlies and some big bulls. Beautiful country too and you won't have to worry about finding a place to hunt without a bunch of hunters.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby VT Sasquatch » 10 25, 2016 •  [Post 7]

No, I didn't look into Selway-Bitterroot. That's a great suggestion, thanks. I didn't know they had the early rifle too. I am proficient with a bow but not at getting within bow range of an elk so I want to try rifle or muzzleloader. Thanks again.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Jimbo1755 » 11 06, 2016 •  [Post 8]

I have hunted the Bob several times with Mills Wilderness Adventures out of Augusta , M.T. The Elk numbers are down in general, but the area they hunt seems to hold a fair number of elk. Its a 26 mile ride into base camp. I have had great success with them, three elk and one mule deer out of five trips.
Jimbo1755