Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk sounds for October 18th?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk sounds for October 18th?

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok guys this is all new again to me.
Are there any elk sounds I could or should be making the end of this week for a spike bull hunt?
I f I dont kill one I have most of November and part of December with a smoke pole.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Elk sounds for October 18th?

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Though rare, I have heard bulls make location bugles later than this. I would just want to be sure I was not calling in a guy with a 30-06. Cow talk could work too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Joe Schmo » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’m in the same boat. I was thinking location bugles very early to see if I could get a response and then just maybe the occasional cow call. It’s likely that I won’t be very close to many folks with a 30-06 :)
Joe Schmo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Spikes (especially the ones that have been separated from the herd) are just babies and always looking for companionship. They are lonesome and curious and willing to investigate just about any sound that they think may be another elk. Other than that, the very best sound you can learn would be the nervous bark. It will stop any elk on a dime for the shot.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Spikes (especially the ones that have been separated from the herd) are just babies and always looking for companionship. They are lonesome and curious and willing to investigate just about any sound that they think may be another elk. Other than that, the very best sound you can learn would be the nervous bark. It will stop any elk on a dime for the shot.

I have a nearvous bark down.

Years back hunting with others many carried a Hochie Momma. one fellow said to cover up his walking another said to find cows
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H