Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tough Solo Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tough Solo Hunt

Postby elkstalker » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Got back earlier this week from my Idaho draw hunt. Been thinking a lot about how it went down, but regardless it was a tough hunt for a number of reasons. Opening week (Oct 1) I hunted a solid 7 days straight, weather wasn't great, and elk were few and far between, only coming out for about 10 minutes before legal, and staying out 10 minutes into legal in the mornings. Only heard 4 bugles. I have hunted this draw unit one other time and guided my daughter one time, both times we saw hundreds of elk and heard many bugles. I told myself I was going to hold out for a really nice bull this year. Opening day I had my only opportunity of the week, a decent 6 pt with weak fronts and fairly good tops, I passed on him thinking I'd have more opportunities... I didn't. To make matters worse I had a sick kid at home, my wife had been super stressed out from a new job, and to be honest, by mid-week I really didn't want to be there.

A week later I went back again, planning on spending up to 4 more days hunting. There had been about 5 inches of snow and I was hoping the elk were more actively feeding so I could spot and stalk. First night I glassed up a couple elk but same story as before, only out in the mixed timber/sage pockets for a few minutes before dark. Next morning I hunted a different basin, set up before light on a ridge about an hours hike in. 10 minutes before legal light a snowstorm blew in unexpectedly, ruining the visability. I was able to locate a herd in this drainage by their tracks going from bedding ground to feeding about 3 miles in. It snowed all morning and I head back to the truck to warm up and dry out. It snowed all afternoon, and I decide to go still hunt where I had spotted the elk the night before. A little over a mile in I cut some really fresh tracks in the 5" of new snow we had gotten, it appeared to be about 15-20 head. I followed the tracks silently for about a half mile through an old logging unit, I knew there was an open sage covered ridge in front of the elk that they would likely head to feed on. I reached the edge of the timber and there they were, 13 cows and a five point bull, feeding slowly away from me. It was a perfect situation... but the bull did not meet my criteria. Now, in my head, I'm weighing out the pros and cons, PROS 1) I have a great, easy shot on this bull 2) This afternoons hunt has gone perfectly, almost like a gift from above 3) There is an atv trail 50 yards below the elk and it will likely be the easiest pack out I've ever had 4) I've hunted hard for 9 days and this is only the second bull I've seen 5) TBH I'm really missing my wife and kids and feel like in this season of life I'm needed at home. 6) It will be meat in the freezer. CONS 1) This is a draw unit and I know there are much bigger bulls if I can find them. 2) I set a standard and may not have as good a chance at a quality bull in the future, this is a 15% draw odds hunt and I should give it my all. 3) With the new snow elk will likely be moving over the next few days.

So, as I watch and wait for the bull to give me a good shot, he quarters away, offering me a shot opportunity, I squeeze the trigger, and the bull goes down. Elk hunting is a mental game as much as it is a physical one. This year I was just not cut out for hunting a large, trophy quality bull. In hindsight, I'm proud of my effort and what came out of this hunt. Life circumstances definitely weighed heavily on me this hunt. I'll post a pic in the harvest thread when I get time.

What have been some challenging obstacles you have faced that have caused you to adjust your priorities when hunting?
elkstalker

Re: Tough Solo Hunt

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

This year I'm not even making it to elk country! I have a partially built driftboat in my garage consuming funds and free time. I promised my wife that I'd leave the mountains alone this fall while taking that project on. And I have a 4 month old Mini Aussie pup that requires a lot of work every day to keep him happy and obedient. I could go on for half a page with my list of important things to do, but those are a couple of the big ones.

Some years it seems like God just has other things in mind for my life than hunting. It's usually important stuff, like people, family, puppies, etc. That's fine with me, but I do notice I've hardly given a lick of energy to chasing the local whitetails with my bow, even when I'm in the woods. My heart isn't really fixated on killing a deer right now.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Jhg » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

...I had a sick kid at home, my wife had been super stressed out from a new job, and to be honest, by mid-week I really didn't want to be there...[/quote]
Family comes 1st. I know that feeling being 2 different places at the same time
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I agree family needs to come first. Anyway you got a great bull and one you should be proud of. Congratulations
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Elkstalker, it sounds exactly like a trophy bull to me man! Looking at those antlers in the future will bring it all back, you earned that one... antler size is a little detail I think is over emphasized, that bull would be more of q trophy to me than stumbling on some 360" bull the first hunt.

I know it's all perspective, but it sounds like a good elk hunt... kind of how it's supposed to go. Well done on your success!
Roosiebull

Postby stringunner » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I would have shot too. Congrats on a successful hunt!
stringunner

Postby elkstalker » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for the encouragement guys! And for helping put things in perspective
elkstalker

Postby CurlyTail » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 8]

To me the success of your hunt is all about the experience. I am there to have fun and enjoy the great outdoors, not to achieve some predetermined number. It is not very often that a hunt meets or exceeds our lofty expectations so you did the right thing - take what is offered, and get back to your family. Happy Ending in my book.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby saddlesore » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Never pass up a legal elk. They are all trophies.Think of all the hunters that don't have the oportunity that we do
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lsb » 11 24, 2018 •  [Post 10]

saddlesore wrote:Never pass up a legal elk. They are all trophies.Think of all the hunters that don't have the oportunity that we do

Agreed
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 11 24, 2018 •  [Post 11]

CurlyTail wrote:To me the success of your hunt is all about the experience. I am there to have fun and enjoy the great outdoors, not to achieve some predetermined number. It is not very often that a hunt meets or exceeds our lofty expectations so you did the right thing - take what is offered, and get back to your family. Happy Ending in my book.

Short and sweet!!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 11 25, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I feel cheated this past year.I shot a decent bull ( 2nd biggest I ever killed ) on the 1st day of the season on my solo rifle hunt. I already had 9 days ML hunting earlier in Sept.,but sure would have enjoyed another 8 days in the field hunting. Even at that though , if I had an either sex or cow tag in my pocket,the first cow stepping out would be in the freezer now if I hadn't had a bull tag and seen the bull.
I really really enjoy elk hunting and all it entails.. I haven't missed season since maybe in the late 60's but I'm out there to kill elk.
saddlesore

Postby Lsb » 11 25, 2018 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:I feel cheated this past year.I shot a decent bull ( 2nd biggest I ever killed ) on the 1st day of the season on my solo rifle hunt. I already had 9 days ML hunting earlier in Sept.,but sure would have enjoyed another 8 days in the field hunting. Even at that though , if I had an either sex or cow tag in my pocket,the first cow stepping out would be in the freezer now if I hadn't had a bull tag and seen the bull.
I really really enjoy elk hunting and all it entails.. I haven't missed season since maybe in the late 60's but I'm out there to kill elk.

Exactly
Lsb