Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When Does Your Hunt End?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When Does Your Hunt End?

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

For me it commonly ends several days before the season opens. Let me explain.
I scout all year. I look at maps Google Earth and at statistics. I search for every bit of information I can get. During the summer I take a scouting trip to search on the ground, and head for camp four or five days before the season starts. Two days before the season I have set my stands and decided where I will be perched. The hunting is over. Everything I call hunting is finished. Waiting and shooting are not the hunt. I admit it, but it is satisfying to conclude things with elk steaks for dinner.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: When Does Your Hunt End?

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Last night for me. 1 month after I got back from my epic hunting trip. What do you mean you ask???? My foot finally healed it self and the last of my blisters fell off. Ready for 2019 hunt.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

All of Sept for archery, then 10 days with a rifle the end of October, then muzzle loader much of November into the first week of December
I also have a archery deer that started in Set and into December
Waterfowl season until the 3rd week in Jan
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Cram369 » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Elk hunt ended in September. Whitetail ends January 20 or when freezer is full. Hogs are year round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Cram369

Postby saddlesore » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

My elk hunt has been 52 years long and it ain't done yet. I can't remember if I ever missed an elk season, but I don't think I did.Sometimes it would be just weekends if I was working out of town and I would fly home Friday night and leave an hour after I got home.. The last 8 years or so it has been two hunts each year.

People use to ask me what I did for a living. I always told them I was an elk hunter. My day job just supplemented that.

When the meat is put in the freezer,I'm thinking about next year, but I still have two antelope to kill come December
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Joe Schmo » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My elk hunt always ends when i shoot a bull and am packing him out, or when I don’t shoot a bull... I say... elk hunting is dumb, I’m just hunting deers next year. Then hours to days later I be like... I wonder if I could draw a good Muzzy hunt in Colorado with 7 pints, hmmmmmmm.
Joe Schmo

Postby Magic » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Our rifle deer season opens November 17th and extends until January 31st. Our bag limit is 3 does and 3 bucks with at least a 10" spread or a 13" main beam. I have a self imposed buck limit and have not taken the 3 buck limit since the 1996-97 season. I am content to sit and watch until......
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Indian Summer » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I can tell you this... the minute one hunt ends the next one begins. I’m a planner. I’m actually planning my next elk hunt while I’m hunting. There’s always room for improvement and I strive to get a little bit better every year. Elk hunting is a year round mindset for me.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:I can tell you this... the minute one hunt ends the next one begins. I’m a planner. I’m actually planning my next elk hunt while I’m hunting. There’s always room for improvement and I strive to get a little bit better every year. Elk hunting is a year round mindset for me.

:idea: Yes sir...never ending cycle.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ