Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wolves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wolves

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

We all know the expanding wolf population has had an adverse effect on elk populations, and even more on elk hunting in many areas. How big is the problem right now, and how big will it become if left unchecked? How much more area will the wolf packs cover in significant numbers in the foreseeable future? Your best estimates.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Wolves

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

As long as season continue and states manage the population I believe elk numbers will stabilize over all.
However small areas elk numbers will drop because of the local pack
Where I hunt the wolves have hurt the moose population. The year my daughter killed he moose we saw 25- "shooter bulls.Bulls over 35 inches.
I have yet to see a mature bull moose in the whole unit in the past 20 days bear deer and elk hunting the area. This week I saw 8 mature cow moose,.. only one had a calve.
Fortunately the one pack was trapped out.
From my perspective the wolf population should be 40% of the current population

Most people dont realize that part of the wolf/ grizzle protection was the hope by many antis as a way to stop or curtail big game hunting ( need to leave the deer for the wolves)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I know people that live over by where lefty hunts and they were telling me that the moose population is dropping super fast with the wolves. I just got home from hunting most of this week. I saw one wolf yesterday and we had wolf tracks all over today. Talk about a big track :shock: . It never fails every time I see there tracks I'm reminded how big they are. The one I saw yesterday was around 600 yards trotting through a little saddle, wish it would of been closer.

If the wolves were to go unchecked you can kiss elk hunting good bye in the future. The things reproduced like crazy.

The areas I'm hunting right now I have only been hunting for last 6 or so years so I'm honestly can't give a good assessment as to were the population is now.
Elkhunttoo

Postby ishy » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I've shared this groups info before and with all the talk and emotion with wolves this group is making a difference. They realized early on that #1 wolves are hard to hunt and trapping is the only way we have a chance at keeping populations at bay. #2 Those guys willing to trap and with the skill necessary usually can't afford it. They have a system in place that is making a difference. It makes it possible for everyone to help. They are endorsed by the Idaho F&G and RMEF. Probably the most important thing is that is growing and working to be an influence throughout wolf country. I still hear wolves yearly but nothing like I did just 7-10 years ago. Every elk hunter needs to read their info whether or not you have wolves in your area today you will tomorrow this is going to effect every one of us sooner or later.
https://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Ishy
Another thing that needs to happen while it may not make a huge difference in central Idaho
Stop protecting the pack and stop managing wolves at the current a bit too high population
List wolves as small game,

Excess populations continue to move into marginal habitat
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I've hunted many units with active wolf packs in Idaho and Montana, they make a difference, but I believe elk numbers have rebounded substantially since just after re-introduction, at least in the areas I hunt, which generally speaking are accessible to wolf hunters and trappers. These are not wilderness areas, and there is a substantial interface with ranches and communities. Now, I'm not a road hunter and I prefer to hunt roadless areas, but, these areas are not large, expansive wilderness areas. I don't mind hearing or hunting alongside wolves, because the wolves are there because the elk are there. Also, although the wolves can and do affect elk patterns, it seems to me that they keep them moving around more, and out in the open more, which can be helpful to rifle hunters.

Big picture, where ranching and Ag. interface with our state and federal lands, wolves will be controlled and elk will still be in abundance, but in those wilderness areas, i.e frank church, selway, Bob Marshall, etc. wolves will continue to thrive and elk number will be far suppressed from their pre-wolf populations.
elkstalker