Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can you combine Tree stand hunting with "run and gun"?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can you combine Tree stand hunting with "run and gun"?

Postby jmorr » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 1]

My initial thought on this was sit in a stand over water during the middle of the day when the bugling action diminishes but after more consideration I think the opposite might also work- Sit in a stand during transition times (early and late), then try to get close and call them out of their destination spots (beds) in the middle of the day. I haven't read Swedes book on tree stand hunting. I more drink from the Elknut cool-aid so I'll take the readers digest version here if you are willing to offer it Swede :D ;)
jmorr

Re: Can you combine Tree stand hunting with "run and gun"?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Sure you can tree stand hunt and hunt on the ground in the same day. It takes some research to determine what are the best times to hunt from a stand, and when to be on the ground.
I do not like to have people including myself running and gunning anywhere near my stand around the time I will be hunting there. I would not go running and gunning and just end up at my stand. I would approach it quietly for a considerable distance. Fairly often I have had hunters disturb the elk in the area and push them to parts unknown. You don't want to push the elk out of the area you where you will be waiting in a tree. It just makes for long boring stays.
It is my opinion that you do better by being patient at a tree stand site, and disturb it as little as possible. Elk are not Whitetails. Elk have a huge home territory and can cover a lot of distance in an hour. Still, sitting quietly and waiting is better than moving around where you expect elk to show up.
If you place a game camera at the site of your tree stand for a couple of weeks before you go hunting, you can see what time of day is best to be in the stand. If you want to hunt afternoons in a stand, get there by 2:00PM and stay until you need to return to camp.
If you are interested in a tree Stand Hunting book, it gives details on things that I have learned over the years. Most or all of what I know has been posted here. That is all free. The book is a concise resource you can read and learn in a couple of evenings what took me years. It is not the last word in tree stand hunting elk, but is what I have learned and these things have worked well for me. None of it is rocket science. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have thought of doing the same thing but not run and gun morning and night but more run and gun for 2 days and on the 3rd day giving the feet a break and crawl into a treestand. But the hardest thing is I have no preseason to put a stand up and I'm not going to carry a stand around till I find a spot during my run and gun days and I don't want to stand hunt were I normally hunt. I only get 7 days to hunt to take a day and look for a spot the hang a tree stand seems like a waste of a day. But as I get older the stand is looking pretty good.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 10 27, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Friday, On your run and gun days do you find some good tree stand spots? You only need one. Mark it on your GPS and return later. Where you place your stand can make a big difference in your success at a site, or lack of success. Usually there is no perfect tree so you go for the best available.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Earlier this year my plan was to call in the evening and mornings. Then stand or blind hunt in the afternoons,..We either ended up working elk all day or just a lunch and short nap mid day,.. we never did stand/blind hunt
Just not enough time to hunt :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 10 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

The one thing that comes to my mind is I’d jump in the truck and completely relocate to run and gun. I’d make sure I wasn’t disturbing any elk I hoped to see from my stand.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro