Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery elk in Idaho

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery elk in Idaho

Postby Scott69 » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I've been considering a hunt in Idaho for a few years.With Dec 1 closing in quick I was wondering if any of you have hunted Diamond Creek zone in the past.I read a lot about hunters all over.With the caps they have on the zone now is it really as bad as what people are saying in the past?Looks like a lot of roadless area to lose other hunters in,and elk numbers are suppose to be good.Ive looked at success rates and they seem very good for archery hunting.Im coming from the East coast so if I jump the gun and buy the tag early before they sell out that will most likely be my hunt for 2019.Though I'll still apply in NM and Wy.,and build points in Arizona.
I'd just be interested in hearing from anyone that's hunted the zone on their experience.And if they still hunt it or consider it not worth returning to.How the elk numbers are in the zone,and if they are call shy as some say.And best time in Sept to hunt there.Basically looking to see if it's an area where I can spend 10-12 days and have a good hunt and not be calling in hunters everyday instead of elk
Scott69

Re: Archery elk in Idaho

Postby Lefty » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 2]

This is my perspective,.. It is all that you have posted.
Ive never hunted the unit except for waterfowl. My wife hunted it as a kid,.. The northern part gets hit by the regional horseman fro rifle and archery
I know a lot of people that hunt the area, it is known for a decent elk population and lots of nice bulls along with hunters for that exact reason. By most peoples standards it is a great place to hunt and generally easy access.

Depends on the type of hunt you want. If you dont want other hunters head for the bigger wilderness areas in Idaho,
Much of southern Idaho you can find a warm shower and bed within an hour of a good trailhead,.. and others know that too
In my few years of archery elk hunting Idaho most residents and non residents end up hunting in the middle of the rut. If you picked the first 10 -12 days you will see fewer hunters.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 3]

The caps happened for a number of reasons. But mostly locals complaining about the area being a general tag Unit.
The fires and farmers also played a role. Ranchers and Farmers complained about winter depredation on hay yards. Elk became managed for farmers tolerance not the habitats ability.
Since our state is run by ranchers,.. they got the say.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Scott69 » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for reply.Given you saying most you've talked to would consider it a good hunt I'm guessing it's worth my time.Sells out so quick I need to decide soon.Tag in hand will allow me to gamble a little on units in Wyoming and NM.Does I'd allow the return of tags?Doubt I'd have to but NM was good to me this year
Scott69