Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho Lolo units

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho Lolo units

Postby Bowhunter » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am thinking about giving the Lolo a try next year. I have done a little research and found the population of elk is down from the high of 16,000. It dropped to 1,600 due to wolves and bad weather. I think it is up to 2,000 now and steady to slowly rising. Some wolves have been harvested by the Fish and Game to help the recovery.

My question is to those that know the area. I am sure with a little work elk can be found but might be more silent. Has anyone here had experience with the area and what is you honest assessment? I am hoping to get away from hunting pressure that is increasing rapidly in my old area. Looking for an adventure in some new country.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Re: Idaho Lolo units

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I’ve been close to that area but never hunted it. Remember, Lolo and Selway Zones were ground zero for wolf introduction. You may be better served looking in other areas.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 11 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Elk hunting is never easy. Why make it harder? Find a place where you aren’t purposely fighting an uphill battle. Hunting an area where you know the herd is down by 90% is doing just that. 2000 wary elk in a unit that big is a needle in a haystack brother. It will take more than just a little work to find them in there. And to kill elk you really need consistency not 1 or two encounters. A large number of hunters who venture into the Lolo and Selway will never lay eyes on an elk. Some won’t find a track.

Don’t do it!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bowhunter » 11 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:Elk hunting is never easy. Why make it harder? Find a place where you aren’t purposely fighting an uphill battle. Hunting an area where you know the herd is down by 90% is doing just that. 2000 wary elk in a unit that big is a needle in a haystack brother. It will take more than just a little work to find them in there. And to kill elk you really need consistency not 1 or two encounters. A large number of hunters who venture into the Lolo and Selway will never lay eyes on an elk. Some won’t find a track.

Don’t do it!

Thanks for your opinion Joe. I had enough trouble finding elk in my old unit after all the pressure. I bet the Lolo won't be much better. I will have to think of other areas. My old unit had a lot of burns. I did find elk in places others overlooked ;) but with them not coming to calls no way to get inside 100 yards without getting busted. I was looking for some thicker cover. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bowhunter

Postby Indian Summer » 11 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

If you’re talking Idaho I can’t help. The only places I’ve hunted over there are the Lolo and Selway. If you want to hop the border into Montana I could.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Bowhunter wrote: but with them not coming to calls no way to get inside 100 yards without getting busted. I was looking for some thicker cover. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Were you getting a response to calling,.. Elk just not closing that last 80 yards.
While others will have more experience and maybe better advice ;)
The more open stuff: call from the other-side of the super thick stuff or sharp ridge they cant see over.

Plenty of areas with more elk and fewer wolves.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis

Postby Bowhunter » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I was hearing a few but the terrain was mostly old burn and open. I know if I sat back 2-3 hundred yards and called they would not come. I tried to get inside their comfort zone and call but with the openness that was 100-125 yards. I ran across one bull that was smart. He would scream back call for call but while trying to move closer I jumped his cows that he kept strategically down wind of him. :lol:
Bowhunter