Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late season youth cow hunt Colorado

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late season youth cow hunt Colorado

Postby Scott69 » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Thinking of using some air miles and taking my youngest son,12, on a late season youth cow hunt between Meeker and Steam Boat.They have leftover tags available.Ive never hunted late season,mostly archery or early October rifle.Anyone ever hunt the Dec season in units 11,12,23,24,211??I assume they should be pretty low that time of year but not sure if most of that is private land.Cant go earlier the Dec 1 due to him not turning 12 till 11/29.Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.Id like to get him started hunting out west with me and thought this may be a good way for him to see a bunch of elk
Scott69

Re: Late season youth cow hunt Colorado

Postby Jhg » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Others can address area specifics, but I hunt late rifle and here are some tips you might benefit from. 1)You will be hunting elk that are moving in migratory patterns. Consider the travel paths they use to change their elevation relative to weather. 2) It may be cold and you will most likely be hunting a non-active style. So warm boots, warm gloves, warm pants. 3) Everyone seems to stake out open vistas. The elk are savvy to that. Consider being in the timber, but on a travel path. If you are certan of your spot waiting is key don't move on. They will pass by at any time. Also getting there by 1st light. 4) One of the most beautiful cow elk I ever shot was late season- winter coated and just a super healthy animal. Good luck. It will be a blast no matter what the outcome.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

There is a HWY between Crag and Meeker, 13. About 18 miles south of Craig, Isle Groves,3 Points mtn area before you get to Yellow Jacket Pass. There is a lot of BLM land that the elk migrate thru. Mostly open tree less country with some juniper The elk move down out of the high country from the east.I hunt that country in ML season and know an outfitter up there.They have quite a bit of snow,but are up higher.Look into Indian Run SWA . Take the road in towards Pagoda before Hamilton.Watch the mud if it is wet or you will be in there for awhile.

Lot of snow up in that NW area of CO now . Most ski areas are opening tomorrow and have 30-40 inch base. It will be a cold cold hunt for a 1 2 year old.

Sounds like you will be flying in and then renting a vehicle.You are going to need a 4wd, chains on all four to get far off of any main roads. .These late season hunts are not for the faint of heart and I sure would be looking at a more comfortable hunt for a first time youngster.It's a tough hunt for an adult in good shape. Seriously, bad things can happen up in that country for unprepeared hunters. If it was my kid,I would be looking at a ML or 1st rifle season for his first hunt.
Colorado has reduced fees for youth cow elk. .Wait until next year and take him earlier.Then if he doesn't fill,you can take him on one of the later hunts. If he is too miserable he might no want to ever go again.If it is a must,invest in a case of chemical toe warmers and hand warmers. They even have full insole foot warmers.Get the Grabber Brand,nut Hot Hands.They are bigger and cover more of the foot.A pair of sorrels or pack boots would be minimum for foot ware and gaiters.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Suggest you phone the Meeker CPW office @ 970-878-6090, speak to the DWM and the biologist for suggestions. let them know you are planning a youth hunt, CPW wants those hunts to go extra well. Good luck!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Scott69 » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for replies.I do have a local to help me a little.Didnt put alot of thought into the winds and temps.And I'll have a rental car so no chains.Definitely concerns me about possibly getting stuck with my kid.Ill contact parks and wildlife guys to,and look over some maps/Google Earth.
Scott69