Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2019, What’s the Plan???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2019, What’s the Plan???

Postby Indian Summer » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

It’s never too soon to think about next season. I mentioned in another thread that I am planning next season while I’m hunting the current one. If you hope to win wars and football games and elk hunts ya’ gotta have a plan! In about 6 weeks it will be time to apply for a Wyoming license. If you planned ahead you’ll get one. If you didn’t you’ll be kicking yourself in the hind quarters for not buying a point over the summer. Is there elk in your freezer? If no why not? What can you do to change that next year?

So who already has a plan? Going back to where you killed one this year? Going back to where you didn’t even see one? Really!!! You’re gonna starve with a plan like that. The biggest improvement you can make is getting down to business and starting to learn your new and improved area with more elk.

I have some damn good diy plans available right now. It’s a bit early in the game as hunting season is still going on in many states. So I’ll offer an early bird special. 10% discount to any Wapiti Talk member who completes the purchase of a Headin West hunt plan by Sunday December 9th. That means check and contract received by that date. I rarely run specials. I don’t need to. But I’m shopping for a new motorcycle! :D So take advantage whilst you can!

If you are already have a plan..... where are you headin’ west to in twenty nineteen???
Attachments
6421CD0A-559F-4924-8E65-221A31CFA300.jpeg
6421CD0A-559F-4924-8E65-221A31CFA300.jpeg (183.23 KiB) Viewed 12928 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: 2019, What’s the Plan???

Postby Joe Schmo » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 2]

DIY
OTC
PUBLIC LAND
Joe Schmo

Postby saddlesore » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Muzzle loader cow hunt up in NW CO, then OTC bull hunt down further south. Both DIY ,public land

I don't give up on an area if I have 1-2 dry years.Sometimes mother nature screws with the hunt,sometimes not.Sometimes the elk haven't made their monthly circle around their feeding grounds.

With the growing number of hunters in CO on the OTC units, it is best to hunt the country you know well rather than searching for another OTC unit that is equally over run with hunters unless you know the elk are not using that area any more.

This summer,I plan to go into one area and cut some shooting lanes. A particular avalanche chute wiped out a bunch of aspen and now 6-8 foot aspen whips are prevalent that I can't shoot thru.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Looking at WY for elk in 19. Will put in for GEN area tag with hunting buddy as group hunt. Still looking at new area in ID if not drawn for WY. Maybe get drawn for bull permit in WA?, if not, just OTC elk in the home state. Really getting into targeting/hunting the blacktail this year for some reason; will enhance my efforts on those sneaky critters starting early next year.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:Muzzle loader cow hunt up in NW CO, then OTC bull hunt down further south. Both DIY ,public land

I don't give up on an area if I have 1-2 dry years.Sometimes mother nature screws with the hunt,sometimes not.Sometimes the elk haven't made their monthly circle around their feeding grounds.

I assume you mean you are at least seeing a few elk but not the one you want. I can go a day or two without laying eyes on elk. I usually see some every day. But if I went the entire season.... or 2! and didn’t see elk I would never go back. As a matter of fact I know enough areas that I’d probably pack up and relocate halfway through the hunt. I think Stevie Wonder could spot an elk or three daily in Wyoming. Keeping in mind it’s semi open. Holy mackerel you are patient.
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Putting in for the Gila archery, and 900 tag in Montana. If I don't draw the 900 I'm going in about 12 miles in an OTC unit.
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:
saddlesore wrote:Muzzle loader cow hunt up in NW CO, then OTC bull hunt down further south. Both DIY ,public land

I assume you mean you are at least seeing a few elk but not the one you want. I can go a day or two without laying eyes on elk. I usually see some every day. But if I went the entire season.... or 2! and didn’t see elk I would never go back. As a matter of fact I know enough areas that I’d probably pack up and relocate halfway through the hunt. I think Stevie Wonder could spot an elk or three daily in Wyoming. Keeping in mind it’s semi open. Holy mackerel you are patient.

Nope.I went two years and saw one calf elk.This was a commonality of elk hunters in 2017 and 2016 due to extremely hot weather and dry conditions This year,I went to the same place and killed the 2nd biggest bull in my hunting career. Colorado elk hunting is a lot different than Wyoming elk hunting. Very little open country where I hunt. By 2nd rifle elk are in the dense timber, only coming out to small meadows in the night.
This is one of the very few meadows where I hunt.That country in back is 6 miles to those snow capped mountains and hold very few openings. Glassing doesn't work because you can see any elk within 200yards

elk country.jpg
elk country.jpg (307.01 KiB) Viewed 12901 times
saddlesore

Postby Jhg » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Going back here:
00a0a_8cG2eG15KOM_600x450.jpg
00a0a_8cG2eG15KOM_600x450.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 12895 times
download (4).jpg
download (4).jpg (7.06 KiB) Viewed 12895 times
00H0H_3payunqIFEd_600x450.jpg
00H0H_3payunqIFEd_600x450.jpg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 12895 times

DIY OTC public, solo.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 9]

If the Lord is willing I will be going back to where I was in 2018. It is a good unit that I want to scout and hunt more.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I'll do you one better. I've hunted the same area for 13 years now. Yet to kill anything. Passed on a couple of deer. Missed a cow. Had the wife in on a bunch of bulls. We just can't connect up there, but I'm not giving up, there's elk in there. When I started hunting it there was me and 2 other guys on a 20 mile loop road. Eastman's highlighted the area and the nonresidents swarmed the area for years. It's thinning out again.
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Lsb wrote:I'll do you one better. I've hunted the same area for 13 years now. Yet to kill anything. Passed on a couple of deer. Missed a cow. Had the wife in on a bunch of bulls. We just can't connect up there, but I'm not giving up, there's elk in there. When I started hunting it there was me and 2 other guys on a 20 mile loop road. Eastman's highlighted the area and the nonresidents swarmed the area for years. It's thinning out again.

Same thing happened in Unit 25 in Colorado. I killed 8 bulls in eight years running,but then it wa written up in several out magazines.Since has been over hunted and over run with DYI'ers and outfitters
saddlesore

Postby Elkhntr08 » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Oh my Lord. I’ll be retired so I’ve been kicking this around. Because of work a home life, mainly work, and a couple boo boos, I didn’t make it out west this year.
2019 will start with a spring bear hunt in Idaho. A bear will be a bonas, mainly getting the lay of the land for elk season. I’ve got a buddy that wants me in Wyoming for a pronghorn hunt then back to Idaho for elk and move on to southern Colorado for another round of elk hunting.
The best part of this plan is its fluid and my bride is on board with it!
Might make it back to Illinois for a little whitetail hunting, but who knows.
Elkhntr08

Postby Tigger » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 13]

we burned our WY points this year so we will not likely draw. Probably headed back to Grizzly central in MT.
Tigger

Postby southernelk » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 14]

probably will take 2019 off, due to finances. last 2 years in montana we have been blessed with 3 bulls between the 3 of us plus some deer. would like to go to Wyoming in 2020, gotta start my research.
southernelk

Postby Elkhntr08 » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 15]

BTW, as soon as I hit Submit, I heard God chuckle.
Elkhntr08

Postby Old school » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Lord willing I'll have me, my sons and my son in law all in Colorado or Idaho for a DIY OTC bowhunt for elk.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby robloft » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I haven’t decided yet. I have thought about trying to draw in Wyoming but I may just buy another point there and go back to Montana. I also may have the option to hunt some private land in Idaho. I’d also like to try to go on an antelope hunt in conjunction with with elk hunting but not sure the best state for that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 18]

robloft wrote:I haven’t decided yet. I have thought about trying to draw in Wyoming but I may just buy another point there and go back to Montana. I also may have the option to hunt some private land in Idaho. I’d also like to try to go on an antelope hunt in conjunction with with elk hunting but not sure the best state for that either.

No question Wyoming is always a top pick to hunt antelope. Did you know that there are more antelope in Wyoming than people? Easy pickins. Good luck.
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Joe - I didn't know how many antelope Wyoming had but wow did we see loads of them from the interstate last year while driving through to Idaho to elk hunt. My boys and I were wondering how much of that land across south Wyoming on I-80 is public vs. private. I think we counted over 300 from the interstate. I'll have to look into it as my sons and I all have 3 PP for antelope, deer and elk in Wyoming now.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lefty » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I’ll put in for Idaho and Wyoming antelope
Hunt archery elk 10 plus days mostly with my daughter
Rifle hunt deer maybe unless we get our elk early
Likely great the goose pits in earlier maybe buy a reservation upland andduck permit
Camp up on a regional redivide and cast and blast
This is the only year I haven’t hunted and fished there in November
Next year I hope my life is fulfilled building our retirement home
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I'm sending out a mass text this week to all the members in our group to see who in for udaho. I know 3 are signed up already. Always a fun time of year planning next year. Come on elk gods be good to us. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Navesgane » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I'm going to quit my job, get a divorce and hunt from sept-January, from Montana to Arizona. Joking aside, I really need to start planning and figuring out the best ways to utilize my points that I have in several states. Probably join gohunt soon to help me with that and probably take Indian Summer up on that offer.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Indian Summer » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Bump.... to the original post.... a 10% discount on any hunt plan purchased by 12/9.
Indian Summer

Postby robloft » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Indian Summer wrote:
robloft wrote:I haven’t decided yet. I have thought about trying to draw in Wyoming but I may just buy another point there and go back to Montana. I also may have the option to hunt some private land in Idaho. I’d also like to try to go on an antelope hunt in conjunction with with elk hunting but not sure the best state for that either.

No question Wyoming is always a top pick to hunt antelope. Did you know that there are more antelope in Wyoming than people? Easy pickins. Good luck.

After driving through on i90 on my way home and seeing hundreds of them right by the highway I wouldn’t question that statement at all.

robloft

Postby Lsb » 11 24, 2018 •  [Post 25]

[quotes="Navesgane"]I'm going to quit my job, get a divorce and hunt from sept-January, from Montana to Arizona.[/quote]
I'm in
Lsb

Postby elkstalker » 11 26, 2018 •  [Post 26]

I'll be hunting Montana elk and deer and hopefully antelope. My two youngest also will be holding tags, first year for both of them. Should be a great year!
elkstalker

Postby rvanbw00 » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Heading back to MT mid Sept. Some unfinished business there to attend to.
rvanbw00

Postby GetOutside » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 28]

I’ll be out West next fall but not sure what I’m chasing yet. I’ll have 6 points for WY deer and elk. Might use them or maybe keep building and head to MT for some big game and bird hunting.
GetOutside

First Name: Pete

Postby Indian Summer » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 29]

GetOutside wrote:I’ll be out West next fall but not sure what I’m chasing yet. I’ll have 6 points for WY deer and elk. Might use them or maybe keep building and head to MT for some big game and bird hunting.

If you have 6 elk points you should just burn them and start getting the 1 or 2 more it takes to guarantee the general license. I can’t imagine only hunting Wyoming every 5-10 years. I’d rather have 8 300 inchers than one or two 320s. Heck in that many years you could have a couple 320-340 bulls from a general unit.
Indian Summer

Postby GetOutside » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 30]

Maybe that will be the case. Kids and work have kept me pretty busy during the fall so I just kept on buying points.
GetOutside

First Name: Pete

Postby Scott69 » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 31]

I have 6 elk points for Wyoming debating on using them this year.Definitely putting in for type 6 tags for me and my 12 year old, for the unit I hope to draw my bull tag in.If no luck in Wyoming,I'll put in for NM and hope lightning strikes twice in a row.Still deciding on Colorado.Not happy about wasting money on a small game tag to enter.If I don't have to buy that for points then points it'll be for me and my son
I have mule deer points and a load of antelope points saved for worst case scenario
Scott69

Postby jmez » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Wyoming will likely take 3 for a general this year. Point creep moving in there as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 33]

Jmez, it is good to see you back. I am glad you are here bud.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 34]

Wyoming or bust! Dad and I have next to max points we are burning this year.

I shouldn’t say or bust, my oldest boy and I are going to sit in one of Swedes old trees opening weekend in OR simply to prove his old spots might be as old as him but they still produce! :lol:

I owe ya an email Swede, will try and get to that this week. Looking forward to having you and Mrs come visit soon!
stringunner

Postby Indian Summer » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 35]

jmez wrote:Wyoming will likely take 3 for a general this year. Point creep moving in there as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Not quite 3. Last year 2 gave about a 60% chance. 2.5 will do it on a party app for sure. 1 is still a very safe bet in the special drawing. Where there’s a will there’s a way. You guys with more points than you need should help out the less fortunate. If you were to put me on your party app I’d pay you the $50 per point so I could hunt. Works out for both hunters.
Indian Summer

Postby Brendan » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 36]

Probably Wyoming in the special for me. Didn't head west in 2018 so don't mind paying the extra....
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 37]

Brendan wrote:Probably Wyoming in the special for me. Didn't head west in 2018 so don't mind paying the extra....

Back to your area?
Indian Summer

Postby Brendan » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 38]

Indian Summer wrote:
Brendan wrote:Probably Wyoming in the special for me. Didn't head west in 2018 so don't mind paying the extra....

Back to your area?
At least as a starting point. Sitting on 2 points so am assuming I draw.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 39]

Idaho, Montana or Wyoming
Need to decide by the end of the month....and then wait on the draw process to be sure. Wont be able to take a long trip this year so ill need to make my days count.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Bruce » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 40]

Wyoming hopefully for a meat hunt and learn lay of land.
Bruce

Postby Lsb » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 41]

Mine have changed. I'll still put in for the Gila and the 900 tag in MT. I've got a buddy and his gf from PA that I've agreed to take out. So that's opener for me.
Lsb